"He's doing it. Look, the wave is receding." Dovi moved to step forward, but Bisby's strong hand held him back.

Tuck methodically stepped forward and forced the retreating blackness out of the dale. The tidal force ebbed and drifted away.

Not a moment later, Tuck staggered and dropped heavily on his side.

Gearda's blue shield surrounding the cottage sputtered then cascaded in upon itself and the spider reappeared. Eight legs wobbled and dragged herself back into Tuck's small house.

Dovi and Nemi ran to Tuck's side. Bisby, looking like he'd seen a ghost, muttered to himself and walked to the edge of the dale, peering in the direction of the lake.

"Bisby, Tuck needs help. What are you doing?" called Dovi. He dropped to a knee and placed a hand on Tuck's arm.

"Uh, yes, yes. Of course," said Bisby. He lingered for a moment, then came running to Tuck with a hand held across his chest.

"Oh Bisby, no. I'm not ready for this. Let us undo it. Can you take it back? I'm not ready to see you go,"said Nemi, deep alarm within her eyes.

An orange pulsating glow radiated through the fingers on Bisby's chest.

Tuck groaned and flipped over on his back. Blood streamed down from both nostrils and his left ear.

The small hawkish man dropped to his knees and threw his hands to his face. "I'm sorry. I tried to be strong." His body shook as he began to sob uncontrollably.

"Sorry? What? Bisby!" Shouted Dovi.

Nemi stepped to the little man and tried to pull his hands from his face. The glowing on his chest grew brighter.

"They promised. Th-they pr-promised," sputtered Bisby. "I'm so sorry. Craeve promised they wouldn't hurt you. They said they only wanted the lake."

Bisby's back arched as the light on his chest expanded to his neck and face. A buzzing filled the air and small specks of light flashed beneath his skin. Bisby screamed and raked his fingers across cheeks dotted with protruding pins of light.

"Bisby!" screamed Nemi.

The tips of fiery orange burst through Bisby's skin and took to the air. A swarm of Rhist filled insects swarmed together, and wheeled towards the cottage. Inside, the orange cloud met with a brilliant flash of blue.

Dovi and Nemi stood riveted in place, as Bisby's disfigured form crumpled heavily to the ground. Vacant eyes stared back at them.

Tuck's eyes flashed at the sound of footsteps. He staggered to his feet.

"Tuck." Tears streamed down Nemi's face.

Craeve's black dress swirled in the wind as she stepped into the dale, rage filling her eyes. "Ruenwall is not very happy with the welcome he received. It's a pity the little hawkish one had to be extinguished. I had such a time with him back in Avrenhalde. Birds make the most unusual noises. But he didn't keep his promise." She ran a hand through her jet black hair. "It's been a long time my beloved Brother-in-Law. I never thanked you for handing me over to the Crown. Oh, I learned so much. Dovi and my long lost daughter will have ample opportunity to enjoy the skills I picked up. There as so many unusual ways to work with pain."

Tuck's knee buckled and he nearly fell. He wiped the blood from his nostrils, leaving a red smear across his cheek.

Craeve crackled with orange power as she stepped up and stood before Tuck. She backhanded the old man and sent him sprawling to the ground.

Anger stirred in Dovi and he felt a surge of power rise up within his mind. He reached for the source of Rhist within.

Tuck's voice came into Dovi's mind. "No Dovinicus, don't open your Rhist to Craeve. Take Nemi and go to Gearda. Do not fear Craeve's swarm. Stay within the cottage."

Dovi reluctantly took Nemi's hand, but did not move. "Now! Trust me! Go!" screamed Tuck's voice.

Dovi pulled Nemi's arm. "We have to go. Now. Back to the cottage."

"No, Tuck, Tuck. L-Let me help him," she screamed. Dovi put an arm around her shoulder and dragged her away.

They reached the cottage and entered to find Craeve's swarm writhing upon a web of Rhist. Gearda was tucked into the far corner of the room, looking battered and spent.

"We should be out there, helping," said Nemi. She banged her fist against the wall.

Dovi watched as Craeve circled Tuck like a cat toying with a mouse. Orange light crackled from her hand, enveloped Tuck's body and lifted the frail man off the ground. Tuck was wrenched back like a taunt bowstring. Spine bent like a willow in strong winds.

"Take Nemi, join hands and wait for Gearda. You will know what to do," called Tuck in Dovi's mind.

Another figure entered the dale. Ruenwall, in human form, was back. Craeve pointed in the direction of the cottage and the large man stalked their way.

Dovi took Nemi's hand. "Tuck told me to take your hands. We're to wait like this."

Nemi just shook her head weakly.

Ruenwall seemed to froth at the mouth as he approached the cottage. His face was fire and ash. His eyes molten.

With one last burst, Gearda cast another shimmering blue shield of energy across the interior walls just as Ruenwall hammered upon the door. The wood splintered and cracked, but did not break.

Ruenwall called upon his Rhist, and a golden axe appeared in his hands. He swung the great faced blade in a sweeping arc, then brought it down in a smooth, powerful blow.

Dovi and Nemi were rocked off their feet from the concussive force, but still the door did not falter.

Gearda shook and cried out. A trickle of blood dripped down from her bulbous abdomen.

Another strike from Ruenwall, and the blazing axe head sliced into the cottage. The door shattered in, sending shards of wood cascading upon the floor.

Dovi reached for his Rhist, but Tuck's voice reprimanded, "No." He pulled Nemi to her feet and waited for Ruenwall to enter.

Pulsing wings filled the air.

"Waelgeugan," said Nemi, as she bolted to the window.

The Greigharrendrake roared out in pain as Ruenwall buried his axe deep within its shoulder, but Waelgeugan kept his grip around the smaller man's waist.

Tuck's voice rent the air, bellowing out in agony.

Craeve's fingers now ended in glimmering sharp claws, more than a foot in length. The tips of one hand were lost somewhere within Tuck's stomach. Blood poured out upon his feet.

Before Dovi knew it, Nemi was through the door and running towards Tuck. Without hesitation he was a blur upon the dale. Time slowed. Ruenwall and Waelgeugan were locked in a bloody embrace.

Craeve smiled and tossed Tuck's body wickedly to the ground.

Nemi embraced her Rhist, flooded with power and launched herself at her Mother.

Craeve, expecting the attack, pivoted to her left, spun back around, raised a long black blade, and began to slice down.

"No!" Dovinicus shouted. I won't allow this.