"It wasn't Rabby. I-It was my father." Dovi's breath was stuck in his throat. He moved shaking hands behind his back.

"You must take me for a half-wit. I know your old man. Not a speck of allegiance in him. He'd sooner sell you to the Greigenharre than incriminate himself. This has Maggutton written all over it." Belesarum's nostrils flared.

"No, I'm telling you, they're not involved. It was my father. He-he means to Freemind me- in Praagenmoor. He needs more Rhist. He wants to use me." Dovi's eyes skittered about like jackrabbits on Harvest Hunt.

"Freeminding in Praagenmoor? Well, thanks- I'll be sure to do some sniffing about. Crown doesn't take kindly to people using Their Rhist." Belesarum smiled. "You're making my job easier. Maybe I'll tell the boys at Falfergast to go gentle on you."

"You'll never get me there. People are coming to help. You'll be hoping they go gentle on you, when you show up empty handed." Dovi's chest hammered like forge bellows. Mother of Mercy, please let somebody come and help me. I can't be taken there alive...

"You've got a set on you. Surrounded by thirty Kingsmen and six Rhistlock Maeges. Damn, we got griffins patrolling the skies. Yeah, I'm not worried about you slipping away. But since you've made the threat, I'll bind your hands, just to be sure. Be a nice lad and hold your hands out. Tretch won't be happy- having to wipe your arse now." Belesarum whipped his arm and backhanded Dovi across the cheek.

Dovi's head snapped to the side, stunning him.

"I don't care much for back talk by the way." Belesarum grabbed Dovi by the arm and torqued him to the ground.

Dovi licked the saltiness at the corner of his mouth, rolled onto his back and tried to focus. A flicker of movement above Belesarum's head caught his attention. A small brown hawk glided onto a low hanging pine branch, then bobbed its head excitedly.

Belesarum glared down at him and spat upon his chest.

"Some people just never learn any manners," called a soft feminine voice from somewhere beyond the tree line.

Belesarum whistled and motioned for his men. He reached down, pulled Dovi up by his hair and held him by both arms.

Swords slid from scabbards. Mailed hands reached for spear, axe and flail. Bowstrings stretched taunt and arrowheads swiveled about in all directions. The Maeges of Rhistlock prepared to attack.

"I know it's you, Craeve. I've got the boy. It'd be a shame to waste prime Rhist, but better dead than in your hands," said Belesarum.

"Told you I'd be back Dovi. You see, I always keep my promises." Dovi scanned the woods, but saw no sign of Gussie.

A flicker of blue light landed next to the hawk in the pine. The hawk fluttered and soared away. More blue lights streamed in, covering the surrounding trees in a vivid blue luminescence.

What are they? Dovi did his best to stay still as an overwhelming buzzing raged to an almost unbearable level. A swarm. Hornets, wasps and yellowjackets- all dripping with Rhist.

Belesarum licked his lips, made some hand gestures towards the Rhistlock, and began an incantation beneath his breath.

"Stop!" bellowed the feminine voice. It echoed throughout the clearing.

Belesarum's voice cut off sharply and his eyes bulged, as a blue glow emanated from the left side of his chest.

"Anyone lifts a finger- his heart becomes a pin cushion. The currently inactive hive in his chest cavity springs to life- if anything happens to me. Now, piss me off enough, and I'll just kill him for the sheer joy of it. Your choice gentlemen." Gussie walked into the clearing and flashed a wicked smile at Dovi.

"Craeve, it's been a long time. Didn't think I'd ever see you again. Was so disappointed when you left. We had fun together," said Belesarum.

"Count your blessings that I've got more important things on my mind right now Blackenroot. Oh, but just give me a reason," said Craeve. She dragged her index finger across the front of her neck.

Tretch and Morvick circled Craeve.

Craeve sighed, shook her head side to side and waggled her finger in the air. "Wrong move. Befleogan!"

Upon Craeve's command, two small sorties of great Prician hornets rose from their perch and swooped down with ferocity. The blue-tinged, green-bodied beasts swarmed the two Rhistlock maeges.

The two swatted at the thumb-sized attackers. Tretch fell to a knee, cradled his head in his arms and howled. Morvick's skeletal face was a bloated crimson. Huge welts covered his forehead and puffed up eyes had nearly seized shut. One hornet had found its way to Morvick's ear, sending him pawing and scratching to the ground.

Dovi felt no pity. You reap what you sow. He watched until the two lay unconscious upon the ground.

"Anyone else want to try me?" asked Craeve, pivoting her gaze side to side.

More than a few Kingsmen sheathed their weapons and backed away.

Dovi glanced up as a shadow passed through an opening in the wood's high canopy. Griffin.

"Give the boy to me, before I lose my patience." Her eyes bore into Belesarum's chest and the blue light upon his breast flared even brighter.

"Alright, I'll give up the boy, but how do I know you won't kill me anyway? I don't trust in the kindness of your black-pitted soul," said Belesarum. His eyes flashed between fear and hate.

"Well, you can either certainly die by not giving him up, or possibly die by giving me what I want," threatened Craeve.

The two stared each other down. Belesarum gripped Dovi harder as the seconds passed, then shoved him to the ground at Craeve's feet.

"The piss boy is yours! Now release me from this spell. I've given you what you asked for," said Belesarum.

Craeve reached down and pulled Dovi to his feet. She pushed him behind her and began to back away.

"Don't do it! I kept my word!" screamed Belesarum, as the light upon his chest grew to a blinding blue hue.

Craeve turned, grabbed Dovi by the hand and raced for the tree line. "Befleogan Andlangus!" she roared and branch upon branch of Prician hornets, Frotian wasps, and Briarbritch yellowjackets plunged down to attack.

Dovi glanced back to see men writhing and running, swatting and swinging in futile attempts to stop the swarm. Belesarum was down, but still moving.

Dovi followed Craeve down into a shallow ravine that snaked towards the heart of the forest. They bounded through heavy thickets and bobbed across moss covered trunks. His chest burned, but one look from Craeve told him to not even think of slowing.

Why is she helping me?

Just as Craeve suddenly stopped, and looked to the sky, a massive inferno of avian flame plunged through the leafy canopy. Ground and sky were whisked away. All was black. All was fire.

"Griffin!" shouted Dovi, as he dove away. Searing heat washed over him. All began to fade.