"My father told you not to mention the Prince, especially with Belesarum about. You can't leave well enough alone, can you?" Rabby shook his head and took a deep breath. "I gotta go. Mom wants me to help clean up. House is a mess." He brushed Dovi aside and walked to the door. "Have a good trip," he called without turning and disappeared down the steps.

What in Heolor is going on? I thought I could trust these people. Dovi resisted a strong urge to trash Rabby's desk and everything else in the room. Fine, just have to face this on my own. Forget them.

He glanced out the window and shook his head at the small army below. Belesarum barked orders like a rabid dog. Men mustered into marching order. Mr. Maggutton stood off to the side with hands on hips. Words are as wispy as clouds, easy to form and just as easy to break apart. All it takes is a disrupting breeze. As if reading Dovi's thoughts, Mac glanced up at Rabby's window. Dovi backed away. He stood off to the side for a minute, then made his way downstairs. Mrs. Maggutton was waiting at the bottom of the stairs.

"Dovi, come and sit. I've got a cup of iced honeytap tea waiting. Don't worry, Mac says you've got a few minutes."

Mrs. Maggutton was taller than most women in Wroughton Grove and taller than a good number of men as well. She had a kindly, heart-shaped face. Her blue eyes never ceased sparkling. She pushed her blond hair behind her head and tied it up.

"Too much work, I tell you. I'll be glad when this lot is on its way." She handed Dovi his drink and smiled.

"Thank you," said Dovi. He noticed deep, dark circles beneath her eyes. "Thank you, for everything." He sat down at the empty table.

"No need for thanks; it's understood when it comes to family."

Dovi nodded and smiled back at her.

"You okay with your trip?" she asked.

"I-I guess so." He shrugged.

"As scary as it must seem, it can't be that bad, or Mac wouldn't be letting you go, right? We've always looked out for you. Nothing has changed. Okay?" Her blue eyes did their best to hide a hint of glassiness.

"I'll remember Ma'am." He scratched at his thumbnail and took a long sip of tea.

"Did you eat enough?"

Dovi nodded again.

"Well, I had Rabby put some cinnamon cakes in your saddlebag. Can't believe you're just going to pick up, leave school and be on your way. It's going to be a regular adventure, for sure. I think Rabby's a bit jealous. He's going to miss you something fierce."

"Why won't they tell me about Falfergast? Do you know what it is?"

"Me? I'm a simple woman. Avoid things that aren't simple. Don't stick my nose into Kingsman business. Mac doesn't question how I run my household. Makes it easier. They must mean well by not telling. Now, before you run off, I've got something for you." She swiveled her head about and slipped him a folded up piece of parchment. "It's from your father."

"Burn it. I don't want any part of him. He's dead to me." Dovi pushed himself up and backed away from table.

"Only the foolish beggar turns their nose up at the dirty hand offering a biscuit," she whispered while grabbing him tightly by the forearm.

Dovi's heart skipped a beat at the look of alarm on her face.

"It's not the strongest, fastest or most intelligent who survive Dovinicus, it's those who adapt. Take it. Read it, and then you burn it." She left the letter on the table and walked over to the side door. "Hurry now, before they come for you," she implored.

Dovi sat back down, unfolded the note and started reading:

Dovinicus, I know you hate me and I know I deserve every last bit of it too. I've failed you. I've failed your mother. I'm ashamed of who I've become. There are many ways to explain why I am the way I am, but even the smallest drop of pity from you is more than I deserve. I'm so very sorry for the way I've treated you and your mother the past few years. I cannot believe she is truly gone. You must believe I didn't kill her. As much of a MONSTER as I am, I would never have done that to her. If you can take one thing away from this letter, it is to do as I've always said to do: Look to Heolor when facing dark times.

Montiverus  

Dovi crumpled the paper, walked over to Mrs. Maggutton and dropped it in her hand. "Taking the time to burn it would be almost as much of a waste of time as it was reading it. Thanks for being there for me Ma'am- since he never was." He gave her a quick hug and went outside.

Bastard had the nerve to get holy on me. He wouldn't recognize the Book of Ealwald if he was smacked across the face with it.