6.1| In which, the plot thickens

Start from the beginning

Madeline found herself stumbling to an abrupt stop, as the noises around her returned. She'd made her way into a market place of some sort, people shouted at one another, offering barter for products they required, while others simply gave to those in need. She revelled in the camaraderie the scene enticed, she was learning piece by piece, what Richard meant when he said 'pack comes first', everyone here was family, and friend. Despite their yelling, their eyes glinted with a smile, no anger or malice lacing their words, they were exalted, and happy to be interacting with one another.

She continued, enjoying every moment, a stall catching her eye. Spinning on the spot Madeline noticed a young girl tried to hide as their eyes locked, hers opening wide in surprise before running off into the crowd. She simply shook her head, attributing the flighty nature of the girl to her fear, before continuing to a stall of charms, and incense. She spoke briefly to the women handling the store, noticing the young girl popping her head from the crowd every few seconds. Bartering with the women, she left the stall with a gorgeous charm, similar to the YinYan symbol. It was simple, and exquisite, an interaction between light and dark, and the feeling it invoked within her led Madeline to believe it could have been destined for her, maybe.

As Madeline walked through the crowd, new artwork adorning her neck, the people seemed to open more to her presence. She made small talk with a few, mentioning the infertility. It was as though as soon as they'd become aware that she knew more than they thought, they were willing to open up, and share their experiences. Within an hour of her visit to the market, Madeline had managed to get five men and women to agree to their blood being drawn. She couldn't help the pride she felt within herself, she'd successfully managed to know the people, completing the first task she'd set for herself.

She'd have to organise a time for the samples to be drawn before the team left, after being here for a few days without success, the team were being flown home for rest and recovery to be replaced by another group. Madeline was staying, as team leader, and local liaison. She didn't mind the lack of company, this place felt more welcoming than anyone on the team ever had.

As Madeline left the market, she immediately became disoriented by the twists and turns of the lanes between buildings. She turned on the spot, letting out a sound of discontent, before nothing the young girl, still following her. She watched as the girl looked around, ensuring they were alone, she put a finger to her lips indicating Madeline should remain quiet, before waving at her to follow.

She hastened behind the girl, struggling o keep up with the movements she was making, before turning a corner, a red-door left wide-open and the girl no where in sight. Swallowing her fear, Madeline slowly walked towards the door, pushing it slightly jumping at the loud creak emanating from the wood.

"Hello?" She directed into the open space, hearing her own voice echo back. She could hear the caution in her own tone, and the concern. Stepping over the threshold into the dimly lit hallway, she jumped, spinning on her heel as the door shut behind her. She met the gaze of the young girl, who put her finger back to her lips,

"You're not going to hurt me, are you?" She whispered, and the girl smiled in response, shaking her head, before grabbing her hand and dragging her into the other room, where a lady sat cup of tea in hand, eyes kind.

She gestured for Madeline to take a seat opposite her, offering her a drink of her own. Madeline waited perched on the edge of the seat, body rife with caution.

"I knew your mother", the women whispered towards her, still smiling. Snapping her head back from wandering the room, she trained her eyes on the womens face. As of yet, not many people had acknowledged her mother existed, even in the presence of the Neaera's. She knew she resembled her, that's how the Neaera's fully recognised her after all.