Battle of The Bands

Start from the beginning

"You're not looking at cheap meat here honey," said Freddie gesturing to his body.

"Well, you get a higher paying job and maybe then we can afford the luxury of unsliced bread," you teased, "Anyway, finally our desert course of the meal. The non-moldy bits from fruit we needed to use up as it was going bad! Ta da!"

"And there you have it, luxury" Freddie concluded and you both laughed. The best part about your relationship with Freddie was the balancing act you played both teasing each other into eternity and always keeping light and quick on your feet. And as time passed, there was always something new to toy with.

You and Freddie finished up breakfast and began to get ready for your day. Freddie managed to persuade you to shower with him, which eventually lead to much more than showering—that in and of itself was a complete mess. Something the two of you probably wouldn't try for a while as it lead to the both of you basically drowning and slipping and sliding, you finally had enough of trying when you slipped and hit your head against the wall cracking one of the tiles. Thank goodness the tile was the only thing with any severe damage. Shower sex was definitely something for a later date and time, but hey you both liked to try something new. And now you two were still laughing about it a few hours later.

You had both gotten dressed and ready and headed out for the train. Freddie was all dressed up in his white sports jacket and pink chiffon scarf he had picked up yesterday. It fit him like a glove and he was determined not to have a speck of dirt hit the fabric—even if it was already a tad stained.

The two of you rushed to the Shepards Bush station, determined not to miss the 5 o'clock train. You both made it just in time. The train took you all the way to Croydon, just south of London, it was a good long 40 minute ride, but not so bad that Freddie would lose his patience.

You got off the train and pulled out the directions Tim had written on a napkin at the pub last night. Even with the sloppy drunken handwriting that had torn apart the napkin, these were just about the easier directions you had been given to that club by Patrick all those years ago or the times when Freddie had written directions on his hand or accidentally tossed them into a waste basket as they were written very sloppily on scrape paper by friends during class. These were straightforward and easy.

The two of you walked hand-in-hand down Caithness Walk which very quickly ended up at Lansdowne Road, and it wasn't long before you finally came across the club, Top Rank Suite. There were already large crowds of people forming outside. There were many acts there that evening, but as you were sure, many people were there to see 1984. They were becoming quite a popular young band in the area. They had even gotten a review in the 'Middlesex Chronicle'.

You both entered the building, the main hall was gigantic compared to any other club you'd ever been in. There was some music playing quietly over the speaker system, but through the mass of people crowding the entirety of the room, it was almost impossible to know the song.

Freddie and you both tried to make you way to the front of the hall, but getting though the crowd proved quite difficult. There was a second floor but there was no way you were going to get there safely.

"Y/n!" Freddie tried to shout over the voices of the crowd, "I've got an idea!"

"Okay, woa—" you called as whisked you away by the hand and lead you towards the wall of the hall. Then he snuck behind the curtain that lined the front of the hall as it went towards the stage. It wasn't a stage curtain per-say, you were sure that to the outside people could very distinctly make out the outline of two people sneaking towards the stage, but it's not like anyone cared anyway.

After much crawling behind the curtain you made it to the front of the room. You were right at the foot of the stage and Freddie both had a grin of excitement and satisfaction of his ability to get you both to the front.