Chapter 7: Selfish Animals

Start from the beginning

Ashley cuts in before I get a chance to tell him, "This is Caitlin. From school? Ugh, you stink, Jaxon."

He scratches his head once before letting out a big 'oh' and nodding his head. "Sorry, it's just that I don't see you around that much."

"A little more about me is that I am the girl that your friend Miller threw a football at," I give a smile through gritted teeth.

Jaxon's eyes go wide and he nods slowly, "Yes, now I remember you. You're Caitlin Mays, the lucky girl who got a wonderful fate of hanging out with the hottest kid in school, next to myself of course." Wow, someone has a huge ego.

I want to leave and pretend that this never happened, but mom has plans to help Ashley's family settle in. We help move boxes and furniture. After that, we a decide to have a picnic in Ashley's new backyard, without consulting me. Mom must've used her mom sense to find out that Ella and I are not exactly on the same page because she keeps smiling in my direction whenever I'm with Ashley. Her heart is in the right place, but she's just not doing the right thing.

"Why does Jaxon live with you? Is he your brother?" It's the question that's been eating me all evening.

She laughs happily, "Jaxon is my cousin. He lives with us because his mom died giving birth to him and his dad just doesn't really like him. Jax is a good guy, though, despite his 'bad boy' rep."

"I'm so sorry. What happened to your aunt must've been horrible," I give a sympathetic pat on the shoulder. She sighs loudly, "My dad cried for three days straight when he found out that his sister died."

I try to imagine what it would be like if my mom died. Actually, I can't imagine that because if my mom were to die, I'd die along with her because living in a world without mom is unthinkable.

When it begins to turn dark, I attempt to go back home, but mom pulls me back in the picnic blanket to watch fireworks. I'd it even legal to set exploding balls o light in your backyard? Doesn't make much sense to me.

"You and Ella should come here more often. The three of us could become really great friends," she gives a genuine smile, showing me her glittering white teeth.

I laugh awkwardly, "Ella and I had a falling."

Why am I telling her this?

Ashley frowns, "That's a bummer. In elementary school, my friend totally just dumped me for this other girl who had not Polly Pockets than I did. I was so mad, well, as mad a six year old can be."

"I bet she's jealous now," I pop a blueberry into my mouth, "You're like the person with the most friends at our school, aren't you?"

Even the through the dimness of the rising night, I can see the blush forming on her face, "None of them are close friends, they just deal with me."

From the corner of my eye, I can see mom talking to Ashley's mother intensely about something. Probably about politics. It's the only thing she talks about lately. It's getting kind of annoying.

"You know what?" Ashley looks up and down my body, "Lacey, our school's cheerleader's captain just broke her leg doing a backflip. We're auditioning for a replacement tomorrow and you seem fit enough to cheer. I would suggest for you to try out, but you don't know how to do cartwheels and that gymnastics jazz. Otherwise, you would be perfect."

I bite down on my lip nervously. Should I tell her that I've been dancing for nearly my whole entire life and cheerleading is just an amateur sport for me? Okay, maybe not the last part, that'll hurt her feelings.

Before I have a chance to decide wether or not to tell Ashley, my mom chirps in, "Ashley, Caitlin has been dancing ever since she could walk. She should be able to do that 'gymnastic jazz' you two are talking about."

Way to eavesdrop mom.

"No way Mrs. Mays!" Ashley squeals, "Then, you should totally audition for us! If you make it, you'll become wildly popular, every girl's dream!"

Every girl, except mine's dream.

Luckily, I have a built in excuse, thanks to Miller. "I'd love to, but I'm still in my concussion break."

"Oh yeah, the one that Ella's boyfriend gave you. That jerk," she spits out with disgust. Somehow, I feel that there's more in the history of Miller and Ashley, not only because they once dated.

Mom raises an eyebrow as if this is news. She tucks a strand of her hair behind her ear, "I'm sure Nurse Mann will allow it. You're break is almost done anyways, Cait."

Sometimes I really hate that lady, even if I call her my mom.

Ashley jumps up and wraps her arms around me, pulling me up too. We both jump for joy, or more accurately, Ashley jumps, while I try not to.

"Yay! You should totally try out! If you are as your mom says, then you'll make it no question!" Ashley lets go of me enthusiastically.

I try to match her enthusiasm, "Great! I've always wanted to be a cheerleader!"

Lie. Cheerleaders are usually self-centred retards, or at least that's what they are in my school.

Mom's eyebrow is still quirked, "Oh really, Caitlin? That's news to me for sure. I thought you that thought that cheerleaders are selfish animals?"

I grit my teeth. How can my own mother do that to me?

"You said that?" Ashley sounds like she's ever heard such words spoken the ought someone's mouth, which is totally not true since I know that people talk at school.

"That was years ago," I try to sound like it's all a joke, but it's hard when you know it's true.

Thankfully, Ashley buys it. She doesn't question my authenticity.

It's nearly ten before my mom finally decides that going home would be a good idea.

"Thanks mom, now I have to go to cheerleading try-outs with those wannabes," I sarcastically whisper to her once we're out of earshot.

The moon is full and I feel as if I'm about to be raped. By a werewolf/vampire/whatever else they have in Twilight. The wind is blowing like a tornado is about to hit and it's so dark that is it weren't for the street lights, I wouldn't be able to see my nose.

Mom puts her arm around me in a motherly fashion, "Honey, sometimes it's good to try something new. Go give it aq shot, maybe you'll have fun and make some new friends. I feel that Ella is getting a bit... old."

I give her a grateful smile. even though mom can be annoying and crazy, she'll always be mom. She knows about my secrets before I even tell her and she knows how to deal with my teenage troubles. Yeah, she messes around with my life a lot, but it's going to benefit me eventually, or at least that's what she says.

"Thanks, mom."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First it was on hold, then this shiz happened and that shiz happened and I never updated for like, a year. I'm sorry baes.

I was honestly trying very hard to focus on my other story, so this one just got dropped. I love this story so much and I tots wanna continue it, so yeah. I'll try to update regularly. Love you guys and I hope you can stay with me, though I would be so annoyed with the author of this story:0

There's a trailer for this story on the side!

Question: Are you guys still with this story or are you like, bye bye!

Please vote and follow! Thanks and ilygsm