Epilogue

I was coming out from my lesson at Ms. Moselli's. This time, I was not a student, I was the teacher. I remembered back when I was in high school how I would trudge to this place so early in the morning because I loved to dance. And now, I have pursued my passion.

Just a week ago, I graduated from Stanford with a degree in Arts and English Literature. I've wanted to drop out several times, but Miller pushed me forward because he wanted me to be educated. He's been my salvation through all of this. I haven't stopped dancing, of course not. I've gotten a magnificent agent who has booked me as back up dancer for so many hit singers. Though, I had got my own butt booked to be backup for Gaby Derson for her whole world tour.

Yes, Gaby Derson was my old friend Gabriella Anderson. It was hard to remember the time we had the huge blow up. It felt like a million years ago, just like the time she made me call her Ella did. Everyone calls her Gaby now. That is, except my brother, who called her by her full name because Carter has a special place in her heart.

Having graduated university, a huge weight was lifted off of me, but a new one replaced it. How would I support myself? I'm going to move to Hollywood and try to get myself a name there. Miller would be coming along. He, unfortunately, had given up football. He now studied as a lawyer like my mother is.

The only thing harder than remember when Gaby and I weren't friends is remembering why in the world I would give up on Miller Woods. He and I were both fools. Him, signing the contract and falling in love with me and myself, not realizing that love isn't a weakness. We're both wiser now. I looked back at my high school years and wanted to slap myself.

I stood there, admiring the leaves that I was once so fascinated by. They were green and plump. Past them was Miller, who was tossing a mini-football in his large hands. So many memories have been placed upon us by this place.

"You're not going to throw that at me, are you?" I pretended to block my face.

His musical laughter filled the air and I tried to breath it all in. To be 22 and still in love with the guy you danced the night away with at senior prom.

Then he threw the football. At me. His arm strength was still there from the time he played. It didn't hit me like it did the last time, but instead, landed in front of my feet. Picking it up, I admired it. It was not even half the size of a normal football and it was made out of plastic. It had little dents in it from being dropped so much in our apartment. I still loved every part of it.

Your kind brought me to my happiness.

My finger pushed down the familiar button of the plastic football that split it in half. I bought this for Miller in our freshman year of Stanford when he was getting over the pain of quitting football for school. I filled it with all of his favorite candies. It gave him the first smile I saw from him in a long time.

A gust of wind blew my very tangled hair out of my face as the football slowly unfolded itself. Usually, nothing would've been inside of it.

This day was different. This day made every other day look like ants.

A beautiful ring sat inside so gracefully. There was a diamond surrounded by a thousand blue-green minerals. It was his mother's. I remember him showing it to me one Christmas at his home. He mentioned how maybe one day I would wear that ring and the thought scared me. But, it doesn't anymore.

Miller told me that every time the ring is presented to a girl, the man erases the old engraving and writes something about his girl. The one Miller had decided on is the best by far, but I was biased.

Infinite footballs couldn't stop me from loving you.

To this day, I still wear the ring. It binds me and Miller almost as strong as our love does. He's the first thing I see when I wake up and the last thing I see when I fall asleep. I still feel in awe that he chose me.