New Enemies

Sasuke's POV

"Sasuke, where is he?" Sakura ran up to the young Uchiha who was strolling down the dirt path with his hands buried in his pockets. There were darkish green tents raised all around them to shelter the Hidden Leaf's villagers since most of the buildings had been destroyed in Pain's attack and some of them were just inhabitable. The raven tilted his head to look at her.
"Lady Tsunade's assigned him to an intel gathering mission." He leaned on his right leg.
"How did he take it?" Sakura fiddled with her fingers, a concerned look on her delicate face.
"I don't know. He just dropped by to let me know that he wasn't running off." Sasuke frowned inwardly at the thought of Naruto leaving the village again, although he knew that he eventually would. Ever since the raven had killed Itachi, the blond had become more attentive of him and affectionate. He must've known what he was going through. "He was his emotionless self, though."

"Did he tell you when he'll be back?" She asked.
"No. But knowing him, he'll be back in a matter of hours."
Sakura sighed softly as she walked over to his side, their steps barely echoing throughout the busy valley. Shinobi were hurrying all around them with documents and weapons. They're doing the paperwork necessary to buy building materials since the Hokage is weakened. Good thing there are other people who don't mind doing it.
And apparently, Iruka was one of them. The older man waved at them with a happy but tired look on his face. Sasuke nodded his head while Sakura waved back.
"He's going to leave again, isn't he?" She asked suddenly, taking the raven by surprise.
"I guess. Once this whole thing is over, he'll probably go back to his own life." Sasuke's voice dropped, his fists clenching slightly. The kunoichi pressed her shoulder against his, trying to bring him some comfort. He didn't respond.

"Hey! Kids!" An old man's voice seemed to be coming from their right. As he turned his head around, Sasuke realized that they had walked into the building district, where the building materials were being stored. Builders from every corner of the land had been hired as well. The Hidden Leaf needed to get back on its feet. The young Uchiha's eyes laid upon a very familiar face as Sakura gasped, a small smile on her lips.
"Tazuna?" The pinkette pushed her antisocial teammate gently towards the man. "How are you doing? Are things okay in the Land of Waves?" A spark popped in her green eyes.
"Yes, yes. We're thriving! Ever since you helped us, everything is going very well. What about you? How are you coping with all of this?" Tazuna gestured towards the line of tents.
"We're surviving. Everyone's working really hard and I'm sure the village will be back to normal in no time!" Although she gave him a soft smile, her dreary eyes gave away the trauma that Pain's attack had inflicted upon her.

Tazuna looked at her sympathetically, small creases forming on his tanned forehead. He grabbed ahold of the white towel around his neck probably to wipe away the beads of sweat he had on his skin. Suddenly, a squeal was heard from the pile of lumber behind the bridge constructor. Sasuke cranked his neck to see a young kid pop his head out of the sea of splinters.
"Inari?" Sakura kneeled down as soon as the boy jumped into her arms, squeezing the life out of her.
"Sakura! Sasuke!" Inari's bright smile reached his eyes. Sasuke gave him a 'hn' to show that he had acknowledged his presence. In a few seconds, the boy's face dropped to the point where a frown replaced his happy demeanor.
"What's wrong?" Sakura nudged him.
"Where's Naruto?" His lower lip curled slightly. The raven flinched inwardly as his gaze snapped away from the road in front of him and onto the boy. He understood what the other was feeling.

"Uh, he's out on a mission." The pinkhead locked eyes with him, fiddling with her fingers again.
Inari sighed softly while he crossed his arms over his chest in disappointment.
"Stop sulking." A voice ringed in Sasuke's ears as he widened his eyes to see a black shadow disperse in front of the boy. It revealed the one person he wasn't expecting to see.
"Naruto!" Inari ran to him and Naruto kneeled down like Sakura had to meet his arms around his own neck. Tazuna nodded his head with a smile on his lips while Sasuke eyed him softly. You're back.
The blond gave him a gentle look before he glanced at Sakura and then back at Inari. The boy squeezed him tightly to which Naruto let out a few shallow breaths.
"Not so tight." He chuckled slightly.
"Sorry!" Inari puffed his cheeks while he furrowed his eyebrows.
"What is it?" Naruto smiled at him.
"You're still taller than me!" The boy scowled as his gaze rose up to meet the blond's.

"Because I'm seventeen and you're twelve." The Jinchuriki patted his coal-brown head.
"And yet you act like a grown man." In a flash, Naruto turned around as his blue eyes narrowed considerably. Sasuke clenched his fists and pulled Sakura slightly behind him, his fingers curling around the kunai strapped at his left side. She grabbed his shoulder in response while her gaze laid upon the owner of the monotone voice who had managed to reach their spot undetected. Or maybe he was allowed to. "You are one interesting shinobi, I must admit." The teen had dark hair and eyes and his skin was milky-white. In fact, he looked a lot like Sasuke. He was also wearing a Leaf headband which only made the raven narrow his eyes as well.
Who's this guy?
"Tazuna, you'd better take Inari and go. I don't think this is going to end well." Sakura leaned to her right to whisper to the old man. Tazuna nodded and grabbed Inari's hand who had turned silent, his eyes wide open as he stared at a slightly different Naruto. But the Jinchuriki was too busy containing his anger to take notice of their departure.

"And I'm sure your leader thought the same." Naruto spat slowly but he remained calm.
"Why so hateful? What wrong have I done to you?" The stranger tilted his head a little, his face completely emotionless. Unlike Naruto, who usually was a cold, unresponsive man, this guy didn't seem to even feel anything, which unsettled the Uchiha.
"Working under Danzo's command is more than enough to make me despise someone." The blond's cold voice was like a sharp blade buried in your chest.
Danzo? Didn't he use to be a part of the Elder Council before he got killed?
But before the stranger could reply, Naruto turned to his right and startled walking away as if nothing had happened.

"Are you going to leave just like that? Fleeing the hardships?" The guy narrowed his dark orbs to slits. The young Uzumaki tilted his head to look at him with the corner of his left, blue eye, hatred obvious on his face.
"No. Except I'd rather not cut your throat open with them watching." Naruto snarled as soon as he had glanced at his former teammates. In a second, he vanished in a cloud of black, and he was gone once more.
"Well then, now that that's over.." The pale teen moved his center of attention onto the duo at his right, a fake smile prominent on his lips. Sasuke furrowed his eyebrows in disgust while Sakura glared at him slightly. ".. Let me introduce myself properly. My name is Sai. I am to be part of Team 7 from now on."

______________________________
Yo! Sorry for the late update, guys! You know, author's block and BTS. Anyway, enjoy!
Next time, on Naruto Shippuden:
'Bonding'
Vote
Comment
& Share!
~See ya!~
~Bella~
💕