Back On Track

Sasuke's POV

"I can't believe he's actually two hours late. Now, out of all times." Sakura slapped her forehead, puffing her cheeks in exasperation.
Naruto let out a minuscule, barely audible chuckle, surprising both the pinkhead and Sasuke.

"So he's still following his own schedule, isn't he?" The chunins' lips curled into a small smile. Hearing him laugh like that was enough to remind them of the old Naruto. For a few seconds, guilt washed all over Sakura's face.
Yes, she was still blaming herself.
"Yo." Kakashi appeared next to them, in a puff of smoke. He gave them a closed-eye smile, showing two of his fingers. Sakura cracked her knuckles with gritted teeth while a sweatdrop rolled down the older man's forehead.

"Heheh.. Sakura.." He backed away slowly when she took a powerful step further, raising his arms in front of himself. "Now, now, Sakura, it's not the case to get violent, is it?" He laughed nervously.
"What is it this time, Kakashi?" Sasuke rolled his eyes before he used a glance to tell the pinkhead that their Sensei was off the hook this time. He might have said harsh words to her but he never actually hated the girl. He did care about her just as he cared about his friends.

"I got lost on the road of life. Don't mind me." His shoulders relaxed as soon as Sakura unclenched her fists. The pinkhead just rolled her eyes and turned around. They nodded their heads towards the young Uzumaki.
"Let's go." Naruto turned to leave but Kakashi's voice stopped him.
"I recall that you said we'd use your Transportation Justu." The Jounin scratched the back of his head.

"We will. But not in plain sight. I do not intend to raise any more suspicions within the village." He said in a low voice, his back still turned to them. The man nodded his head slowly as if he was still processing what Naruto had said.
They walked a few minutes in complete silence. It wasn't the awkward or tense kind of silence but it wasn't comfortable either. At least, not for the Leaf shinobi.

Suddenly, the rogue skidded to a halt and so the others had to stop before the'd bump into him. Sasuke grunted with annoyance. He wasn't used to accepting that kind of unpredictable behavior. And he sure as hell didn't like it. But that's Naruto's way of being and no one could change him no matter how hard they tried. Not even the Uchiha's desperate attempts.

Naruto turned around, his cloak fluttering in the warm air.
"Put a hand on each other." He unexpectedly placed his gloved hand on Sasuke's shoulder as he jolted ever so slightly. He had no idea what strong effect it had on the raven. He tilted his head to a side, avoiding Naruto's predator-like gaze. He didn't want the blond Jinchuriki to see his surprised face.
Screw my plan of going easy on him.

A yellow chakra tail spluttered out of the ground and found its place on Kakashi's right arm while the Jounin grabbed Sakura's, to his left. The pinkhead's hand moved slowly and carefully until it reached Sasuke's right wrist, since she didn't dare to put it any higher.

Naruto raised his left hand and formed a simple hand sign. In the blink of an eye, a black shadow engulfed them before disappearing just as fast. Sasuke blinked rapidly to clear away the blurr fogging his eyes. He scanned the different surroundings and came to the conclusion that they were now in a forest of pines, cloaked in white snow.

Naruto's hand barely gripped the raven's shoulder but it soon flopped on the blond's side. Although it was almost unnoticeable, Sasuke still felt the hesitation in his fingers. Naruto didn't want to let go of him. Quite literally. Sasuke turned his head to meet Naruto's gaze and his eyes widened slightly. The blond seemed sad and somewhat.. Hurt.

A second later, his stoic mask formed again, hiding all of Naruto's feelings or thoughts. He turned his head around, focusing on the road before their eyes. Apparently, Sasuke was the only one to take notice of his moment of insecurity. His yearning to shatter his own mask. Sasuke shook his head to clear his mind. He needed to focus on their mission solely, not on Naruto.

"The Hidden Snow is just up ahead. We need to gather more intell on the Oharo Clan's hideout otherwise we'd be walking blindly." Naruto said in a stern voice that allowed no one to argue with him.
"But aren't you supposed to know more about them than any of us? Or even the Hidden Snow?" No one besides Sasuke.

"I do. But I want to see the damage they've caused with my own eyes. After all, I'm responsible for their current behavior." The Jinchuriki sighed softly, as if he regretted something.
"What do you mean?" Sakura furrowed her brows in confusion as Naruto's shoulders tensed slightly.
"It doesn't matter. Get moving." He growled lowly, trying to keep his calm. Sakura flinched upon hearing his tone and her eyes clouded with sadness. But she said no more.
Kakashi sighed, rubbing his temples like Lady Tsunade usually did. Naruto's behavior.. It was to be expected.

He had been and still was a rogue, only allowed to stay in the village due to Lady Hokage's authority. And he wasn't even staying there willingly. Only Naruto's dignity bound him to the village. Otherwise, he would have never returned to them in the first place.

______________________________
Heya! An early chapter for ya! Just so you guys know, I'm not gonna include any ships in this story. As you may already know, my story is mostly based on the bond between Naruto and Sasuke. And it'll stay that way. Next time, on Naruto Shippuden: 'Reconnaissance'
Vote
Comment
& Share!
~See ya!~
~Bella~
💕