| = > Chapter Two < = |

Perspiration decorated dots the expanse of my skin, somewhat bearing a cooling relief to the blistering flesh of my body. Muscles and limbs were aching, screaming for an ounce of rest. Pants and heavy breaths escaped through the slit between my parted lips, nearly drowning out the pumps of my violent pulse and the occasional smack of skin on skin. Certain spots of my figure stung and throbbed more than others, most likely transitioning to purple and navy bruises in their wake.

The male across from my form was appearing no better, his own bare skin caked in a blanket of sweat. Countless spots on his physique were already hued deep scarlet or rough purple, some of my own inflictions.

My gaze was centered upon the pattern of his arms, sometimes flickering down to check his feet. Any sign of movement, even the slightest of a flinch, always indicates some sort of attack. Always.

I note the tensing of his left bicep, swiftly preparing my form as the limb comes soaring in my direction. My arm bends, smacking his tricep with my elbow and halting his punch. The individual reels back, jumping a few steps behind him. Perfect.

Taking the moment of weakness, I straighten my leg and kick, knocking a rough blow to his stomach. Then I drop, twirl upon my own hands, and force his legs out from underneath him with my own, causing his body to collapse against the mats. His flesh meets the surface with a sickening slap, exhausted form heaving in defeat. A hand is risen, indicating the act of surrender.

Out of breath, my tongue fashions the words, "What was-..that?" Inhale and exhale. "Twenty seconds?"

The male chuckles tiredly, brushing a few wet, blonde strands from his forehead. A bright grin overtakes his masculine face, complimenting the sparkles of his baby blue irises. He forces his muscular figure to sit up, shaking his head in disbelief, "I didn't think it's possible... but you're getting better."

"Good." I offer an outstretched hand, to which he accepts and I assist him to his feet. A limb winds around the front of his torso, whilst the other grants a supporting pat to my shoulder.

"Better be careful there, Horrors, your Dad might promote you to trainer."

I shake my head, retreating toward a wooden bench, "He'd be too paranoid I'd break a couple bones. You knew how he was when we first started."

"Oh god, don't remind me." I toss him a plastic water bottle, taking a swig of my own in the process. "I remember I had to lock my door every night. I thought he would kill me for laying a hand on you."

"He still can." I shoot the annoyed man a mischievous wink, unwrapping the white fabric around my knuckles. The garments are stuffed into a long workout satchel, a black hoodie being tugged out.

"Ending early?"

"Yeah, I have to be at the station in a little over an hour." I throw the sweatshirt around my shoulder, tugging my bag around after. "Also, can we reschedule tomorrow's?"

"Sure. Just let me know when."

"Will do. Thanks Garrett." With a farewell to the trainer, I exit the gym into the corridor, traipsing down the way into an awaiting elevator. The forty nine is pressed upon the keypad, doors swiftly shutting. Cheesy music sounds through the tiny boxey space, a slight echo bouncing between the metal walls. A ding alerts an arrival, a new area revealing through the open doors.

I step into the living room, passing by the black and white themed space. Immediately, I dive through a separate door, walking into a spacious navy blue bedroom. The workout bag is tossed upon the floor, free hands ascending to tug the band withholding my thick, dark locks. The strands spill in waves down my front, barely reaching the bare skin of my hips.