British Bird - Chapter Thirty Seven

British Bird
Chapter Thirty Seven
Sang

Flashback: Thirteen Years Old.

I blink my eyes open and inhale a breath of morning fresh air. My eyes clear and the rising sun lighting up America's sky greets me. After an amazing night of smiles and laughter, we returned home to Uncles, collected up some blankets and laid beneath the stars. The last thing I remember is Gabriel humming to some song I didn't recognise. It brought me a sense of peace and I know that I fell asleep with a smile on my face with a heart full of love.

And here I am, lying beneath the sunrise of the early morning. Birds singing their tune surround me, as do the soft even breaths of the boys around me. I close my eyes and exhale a breath when I realise that the time has come.

I'm leaving today and it scares me because I have no idea what the future holds.

Sitting up, I push myself to my feet, allowing the blanket that had been draped over me fall to the ground. Looking at the boys, I take in their peaceful faces, wrinkled suits and shirts that are unbuttoned revealing chests that I know one day will be defined with more muscles that what they already are. They're all handsome and I know that one day, they'll be breaking girls hearts with just a smile.

I pick up the length of my dress as I walk across the lawn to the house. The soft, slightly damp grass beneath my feet tickles my sensitive skin. It makes me grin so wide my cheeks hurt. Stepping into the house, I allow the length of my dress to fall to my feet once more and head for the stairs.

That's where I find Cara. Her hair is pulled back into a ponytail and she's all ready for our long trip home. She's dressed in leggings, a t-shirt and converse and is sitting on the steps with a cup of coffee in her hands. She smiles at me, but it's a little sad. "I was going to finish this and then come and wake you."

I nod my head. "What time are we leaving?" I ask, my hand reaching up to my hair. I curl a strand around my finger.

"In an hour," she answers quietly. "We don't even get a chance to have one more breakfast with them. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologise," I whisper. "It is what it is."

Tears burn my eyes but I take a deep breath and shove my emotions down. Cara doesn't say anything and i'm thankful for that. I collect the length of my dress and slowly make my way up the stairs and into my room. My suitcase lays on the floor under the window, everything has been packed inside, all but the clothes i'll be wearing home today and the dress.

I reach behind my back and slowly slide the zipper down, allowing the dress to fall and puddle at my feet. Tears start falling from my eyes as I slowly take the pins out of my hair, laying them on the bedside table in a neat line. By the time i get myself in the shower, I'm sobbing. The pain in my chest has me pressing my hands there in hopes i can somehow relieve the pain but I can't. It hurts, so so much. I let out a scream and slide down to the shower floor and curl myself into a ball.

I've never experienced anything like it before and i don't want to ever again.

On weak legs, i climb to my feet and get out of the shower. I dry myself off immediately and slowly get myself dressed into a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. I pull my wet hair into a bun and pull on some sandals. With each thing i do, my movements are purposely slow, hoping that if i'm slow then time will slow. I don't think I'm in much luck though.

A knock at the door startles me and a second later it's been pushed open. Cara steps into the room with tears trickling down her cheeks. "Hearing you like that...it breaks my heart, baby."