British Bird - Chapter Forty Five

British Bird
Chapter Forty Five
Sang

My heart is racing and my palms are sweaty as I pull my suitcase behind me, following the signs to find my way out of the airport. Evie is pushing Ruby in her pushchair, Aaron and Wes are both pulling two suitcases each. The long twelve hour flight has left me feeling dirty. I'm also incredibly tired. I didn't manage a wink of sleep, too anxious and nervous to shut my thoughts down enough.

The two weeks have been a whirlwind of getting everything sorted. Michelle's superior managed to get me the release I needed. I will have to return to London at some point in the new year to get it all officially finalised by the courts, but was in the meantime granted permission to leave the country after giving over proof that I have everything in place to support myself.

The day before my flight, I had to go to court as a witness for what Michelle had done to me and the way she went around things. It was a super long day, but by the end of it Michelle was found guilty and sentenced to five years in prison. With my father, Marie and Mr. Parker it gets a little more complicated. It's hard to work out whose idea it all was. Their court hearing won't be yet, but for the meantime Marie and Mr. Parker is on bail and both have a tag cuff. They're also not allowed within a hundred feet of me thanks to a restraining order the courts granted. Their due in court in a couple of weeks, but after what the judged saw of me a few days ago, she feels she's happy enough to prosecute without me getting up on the stand.

It also helped that Mrs. Parker went to the police and made her own statement, telling Officer Knight all the things Mr. Parker, Michelle and my father had planned. Mrs. Parker disowned Marie, filed for a divorce and moved out of the house the following day. I feel sorry for her, but hope she can get the help she needs to get through this.

I heave a sigh, finally making my way outside. I can't help but look up at the sky. The air is slightly chilled, not as cold as London though. The sky is blue and the sun shines, warming my face.

"Holy crap, we're here," Evie mutters as she comes to a stop beside me. "You're here," she whispers, looking over at me. I can't help but meet her gaze and nod my head, my eyes burning with tears. "You're home."

"Almost. Almost there." I pulled out my notepad from my bag, finding the details for the car we hired after Evie let me know that Aaron was happy to drive on the opposite side of the road. He had to do an online crash course or something to be able to do it, but otherwise said he didn't mind doing the drive to Summerville.

I pull out the printed paper, handing them over to Aaron. "You have to go up there, show them this and your license, plus the certificate from that course." I point to a building a little up the way, just a few minutes walk, right next door to the airport.

"Don't worry, Sang. I've got this." Aaron sends me a smile, taking the paper from my hands and then he's off.

I let out a breath, pleased that Aaron and Wes got the permission to relocate. They're excited and have told Evie that they'll find a place to live as soon as possible. She said she wasn't worried, but she also didn't see the long glance Wes sent her way, it was almost like he was in pained. Yet, she didn't notice. It was almost like the thought of living with her permanently hurt him.

"I'm just gonna take Ruby to the toilets so I can change her nappy and outfit. I'll be back." Before Wes and I have a chance to reply, she's turning around and heading back inside the airport.

"Are you not going to go with her?" I ask Wes, finding him sitting on a suitcase, dressed casually in light blue jeans, a white t-shirt and a zip up jacket.

He shakes his head. "No, she's a big girl. Besides, that shit irritates her."

He grins and I return it with one of my own before asking, "Are you ever going to tell her you're in love with her?" I don't know where my boldness came from, but I'm curious. I've just spent the last twenty four hours with them; there's so many signs; the secret smiles, the subtle touches, the long looks. I don't think Evie realises that she's in love with them too.