British Bird - Chapter Thirty Three

British Bird
Chapter Thirty Three
Sang

After speaking to the police and Elizabeth, I was allowed to leave, but instead of going home I found myself walking around the city with no destination in mind. That is until I find myself standing outside a semi familiar flat building.

I ring the buzzer with Evie's surname on it and wait, folding my arms across my chest to keep myself warm. Crackling reaches my ears before a soft, "Hello?"

"Hey Evie, its Sang."

"Hey, come on in." I hear a long beep and push on the door which opens. She's in flat A5 so I don't need to go up, only down the hall, past the elevator, and around the corner. Just as I reach her door, it opens and it's not Evie standing there.

As I take in his blue eyes, shaggy hair and rugged exterior, I find myself taking a step back. This guy... he's scary looking, yet when I see him smirking at me with twinkling eyes, I find my shoulders relaxing. "Hey, you must be Sang."

I lift my hand a give him a small wave. "Hi. Unfortunately, I have no idea who you are."

The twinkle in his eyes dims a little, but his smile widens. "Doesn't surprise me that our girl Evie didn't mention us." He holds his hand out to me. "I'm Aaron."

I quickly shake his hand and offer him a small smile. "Nice to meet you. Is Evie busy? I can come back."

"She's just talking to my brother. Come in and I'll make you a cup of tea." He holds the door open and steps out of the way. I step inside, moving enough out of the way for him to shut the door. "It's nice to finally put a face to the name," he says, walking by me and into a room.

I follow him, my brows dipping down into a frown. "Excuse me?"

Aaron throws a smile my way from over his shoulder as he puts the kettle on. "Evie mentions you quite a bit; all I knew about you was that you're a pretty, blonde girl that she goes to college with."

My cheeks heat as I take a seat at the small table in the centre of the room. My eyes take in the pile of washing on top of the dryer, the few dirty pots by the sink and toys randomly scattered on the floor. Compared to my flat, you can tell that someone lives here and it's nice. It doesn't feel empty. "I'm sorry, I really wish I could say I've heard of you before, but I can't."

"No worries. How do you like your tea?" I tell him how I take my tea—milk with two sugars. When he places a mug in front of me with love hearts all over I immediately wrap my hands around it to warm them up. "My brother and I are Ruben's best friends."

"Ruben?" I repeat, my brows dipping down into a frown.

Aaron's head tilts to the side, his expression full of wonder and hurt. "Ruby's Dad."

"Aaron, drop it." I turn at the anger filled voice and find Evie standing in the doorway with another guy standing behind her. He's the complete opposite of Aaron in the looks department. He has dark hair, green eyes but is just as rugged at Aaron. They look nothing alike. It makes me think of the two brothers in my life. Step brothers? Evie meets my eyes and softly says, "She doesn't know."

"You said you had told her, told Sang," Aaron says, eyes hardening.

"I haven't told anyone," Evie snaps. "Being here, in London and away from Cambridge is a fresh start. My friends don't need to be haunted by the death of my boyfriend like I am daily."

Aaron's eyebrows raise to his hairline, but the guy standing behind Evie gets my attention when he says, "Leave it, Bro." He drops his eyes to Evie, who ignores him. "We'll be discussing this. But in the meantime, we'll get going."