British Bird - Chapter Thirty Four

British Bird
Chapter Thirty Four
Sang

Flashback: Thirteen Years Old

I hear the click of a camera as Johnny and Cara go down the stairs, leaving me upstairs and on the landing to gather myself. I'm nervous, that much is true, but I'm also trying to prepare myself for my last night here. It's no secret I don't want to leave. But maybe if I had faith, and believed that one day I would be back all this would be just a little easier.

The creaking of the stairs has me looking towards them and I smile when Uncle appears, dressed in a black tux, white shirt and a rainbow coloured bow tie. He lays his eyes on me and smiles proudly. This man has come to mean a lot to me. "You look stunning."

I smile. "As do you, Uncle."

"I've came to escort you. It was the only way to get those boys to stop arguing over who would walk you down the stairs." He rolls his eyes playfully and I laugh lightly. He then holds his arm out to me. "May I?"

Grinning, I nod my head and wrap my arm around his. "You may," I whisper.

He leads me towards the stairs and as we start descending them, I find myself looking down at my feet, watching my step and hoping that I don't trip on the material of the dress or the shoes I'm wearing.

The clicking of the camera has me looking up, only it's not the photographer my eyes find. It's the nine boy standing at the bottom of the stairs wearing tuxedos, shirts and ties, all in different colours.

Owen is wearing a grey tux with a black shirt and a pink tie. Sean and Nathan have mixed it up; both are wearing a white tux jacket with black pants; Sean wears a white shirt and a light pink tie with purple polka dots and Nathan wears a red shirt with a pink bow tie.

Silas is wearing a navy tux with a pink shirt and dark blue tie. Luke wears a light blue suit, pink shirt and a dark pink bow tie; a pink flower has been pinned to his left breast pocket. North and Kota wear black suits; North wears a black shirt with his and a pink and black stripy tie while Kota has on a green shirt and a pink tie. Victor is wearing an extremely light grey coloured tux, almost silver looking, with a pink shirt and white tie.

It's Gabriel's tux that has me grinning from ear to ear. He's wearing orange trousers, with a pink stripes going up the outside of his pant legs. He wears a an orange shirt and a pink bow tie, and over the top he's wearing a pink jacket with orange buttons. On his feet are white dress shoes and in his ears are a mix of pink and orange studs.

It doesn't go past me that each of them are wearing a flash of pink, and it makes the butterflies in my belly go crazy.

When we reach the last step, the photographer asks for me and Uncle to smile at the camera. Once the photo is taken, Cara starts ushering us outside for more photos. The adults go first, leaving me with the guys.

"You all look amazing," I tell them, my eyes moving over each of them once more.

"You're beautiful," Nathan murmurs, wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me into his side.

"That hairdresser did a good job with your hair," Gabriel says, eyeing my hair with a smile. "That dress is fucking fabulous too."

I smile and look from one boy to the other. It hurts my heart to think that these are the last hours I'll be spending with them. They must see on my face where my thoughts have headed because Sean reaches for my hand and links our fingers together. "Don't think about leaving—not now, and not anytime tonight."