British Bird - Chapter Six

British Bird
Chapter Six
Sang

Victor just sits beside me the whole way to the stop I need to get off at. I'm hyper aware of every movement and a few times I found myself watching him from the corner of my eye. At one point I saw him texting on the latest iPhone. Typical. Always up to date with technology and here I am with some old fashioned LG that I got at a good deal on from a second hand phone store.

When the bus comes to a halt at my stop, I stand and Victor follows suit, letting me free. He doesn't say anything, not like I'd be able to hear him anyway. I still have the music blasting in my ears. I may be acting childishly right now, but I'm hurt and angry; anger an emotion I'm not very familiar with.

I feel him follow me down the stairs on the bus and towards the doors. Before I get off, I spin around and pull the headphones off. "Don't follow me."

His eyes, I could get lost in those eyes forever. "I'm sorry, Sang." I'm not sure what's he apologising for but when I get off the bus he follows me. I knew that telling him not to follow me would just go in one ear and out the other. I guess that's what his apology was about.

He doesn't say anything, just walks at my side. But I want him to talk. I want to hear the sound of his voice, I want him to tell me that's he's still playing the piano. But then I don't want to hear how his life has been without me in it. I'm so confused. I have no idea what to feel right now.

Rounding the corner to my apartment flat building, I immediately spy the black Audi and grey Land Rover. No need to guess who it is. The doors to the vehicles open and my pace quickens. My hand goes into my bag for my keys. They can't get into the building once I let myself in the main front door. My hands shake, the keys rattling in my grip.

"Sang, please stop running," Sean calls to my back.

I stop at the front door, my key hovering near the lock. I put it in and turn around. They're here, all of them. Nathan looks bigger than ever, while Luke looks more like a Calvin Klein model. Gabriel looks like he's going to burst into tears, while the others silently plead for me not to run.

"You know," I mutter, shuffling on my feet. "I don't know whether to love the fact you're here or hate you for taking so long."

"Let us come in and explain please, Sang," Luke says and I realise then how much I've missed him, them. Luke was my first friend out of all them. I met him first. Doesn't mean I care for him more, because I don't. I've always cared for them equally and my own special way with each of them.

I'm about to cave but I can't, not yet. I need to get my thoughts together. I just need to be alone. "I need to know one thing right now," I whisper.

"If we can tell you, we will," Mr Blackbourne finally speaks. It's the first time I've heard his voice since I was thirteen and nothing about it has truly changed.

"Cara...is she...alive?" I've never allowed my thoughts to take me anywhere beyond her smiling face whenever I think about her.

"She is," Sean answers, his lips curling into a smile. "She's very much alive and in America with Johnny and Uncle, as healthy as ever."

That's all I need to know. Relief flood through me and I say nothing more as I quickly turn around and open the door. I pull my keys out as shouts start behind me. I turn around and shut the door. Gabriel bashes into it a second later, banging his hands on the glass panel. "Open this fucking door, Trouble. I mean it. Fucking open the door."

With a heavy heart, I turn around and run up the stairs. When I reach my door, I open it and go inside, taking a few deep breaths as I close the door behind me. I take off my jacket, kick off my shoes and throw my bag wherever. I need a cup of tea.