Chapter 14: Ella es not a name

"What the heck? You're such a stupid girl sometimes, Santiago!" Melissa mutters quietly while offending me slightly. She's staying the second night in my room.

"At least, someone's gotta know what those girls are doing!" I roll my eyes. "Principal Chopra will not mention my name, he promised. They're not gonna hurt me, Melissa."

"Chopra is stupid! And you don't know what those bitches are capable of!" Melissa sits on the edge of my bed and rubs her forehead. "Well, Henrietta and Scarlett are completely harmless. Those two are the dumbest people I know. Trust me, I used to hang out with them. But this Veronica, after what you told me about her, she's crazy. She can hurt you if she found out you told Chopra about that panties shit!"

I just look down. Why is she so concerned about my well-being? I know she doesn't like me that much, but she acts so worriedly. "I'm sorry," I say as I sit next to her.

"Something bad is gonna happen, man," she mutters.

My heart starts to pump faster. Holy crap, what if Veronica does find out about this? "You make me nervous. What's gonna happen?"

Melissa stands up and holds my shoulders firmly, staring at me like I'm some kid in trouble, "Listen to me very carefully. Starting tomorrow, you go to school with me. I parked my car three blocks from here. We ride together and every time you go home, you must text me. I must know everywhere you go: cafeteria, bathroom, class, wherever you're going. Shit."

I am supposed to say swear jar for dozens of times already, but she seems serious. It's not the right time to remind her about that as for now. "Ok."

For the next two hours, Melissa and I hang in my room. I am trying to answer my Spanish homework while she just sits on my bed, doing nothing. At first, she tries to listen to music but eventually gets bored. She attempts to read a book, but it makes her sleepy. She turns on my TV, but there are no channels available since mom took my cable wires including the internet one.

I keep stealing glances at her and her amazing toned legs and if she catches my eyes, I'd just immediately look away, pretending to be thinking.

"I'm bored," she finally says.

"Deal with it," I reply.

She just grunts. She starts stretching her body, trying to catch my attention. "1, 2, 3..."

"You're making noises. Shift to another not-so-noisy activity like reading or writing or whatever," I suggest while staring at my Spanish homework.

She grunts once more. "What are you doing?" She sits on my bed again, staring at me while I answer my homework, propping my elbow on the table adjacent to where she's sitting.

"Homework. Essay."

"You've been on that homework for hours," she lies on her back then sighs.

I ignore her this time, focusing on my homework. She's really annoying... also, good-looking.

Melissa is making these weird sounds now, still trying to get my attention. "Lolololok... lolololok... lolololok... lolololok... lolololok... lolololok..."

What animal sound is she trying to imitate? What a freaking weirdo! Still, I ignore her.

"Dani," she calls me by my first name for the second time. The first time was when she confided in me.

She seems serious so I turn to her, "What?"

Melissa ignores me, slightly smiling.

"What?" I repeat, a little louder this time.