Chapter 7: She Says It

I have been thinking a lot about Melissa's proposition. I actually want to back out. I feel guilty already. I wonder what Rachel would even think about me if she'll find out about this ridiculous, theatric plan. However, I have seen plans like this in the movies and it sort of works.

On a Saturday, I go to school to finish my detention duty. And at the same time, I got worried because Marcus Cowen will be back anytime soon.

I did not see Rachel. She is probably mad at me. Or maybe she's just been avoiding me because she is a homophobe.

NO, she's not a homophobe!

But there is a probability that she might be gay. I just need to see her right now and ask her a question.

On Sunday, Rachel decides to talk to me. After church, she texts me if she could come over and I let her. I am so anxious, should I ask her about her sexual orientation? But that doesn't really matter, right? I'm pretty sure that we are going to talk about what happened. What if she asks me if I liked her? Will I tell her the truth?

Then I hear a ding dong.

I immediately run downstairs to get the door. And I see Rachel talking to grandma. "Hi, Mrs. Farrell. I'm Rachel. I came to see Dani."

"Oh, hello dear! But I am not Mrs. Farrell," grandma says with an accent.

"Grandma, I got this, thanks!" I interrupt.

"Is this your girlfriend?" she turns to Rachel. "She is pretty!" grandma says with an excited voice.

"Grandma?" I shoot I glance at her. "What the hel--- ck?" I fake smile. "She isn't, she's my friend. She's here for school stuff." Then, due to the embarrassment, I immediately grab Rachel's arm and take her upstairs to my room leaving grandma downstairs.

Rachel keeps her laugh. This is embarrassing. I can feel my face burning. Then Rachel says, "you're blushing," and I blush even more.

Rachel studies my room. A John Mayer poster has been pasted on my door. I feel kind of awkward when Rachel starts staring at my mini altar and a statue of my adored Hindu god. I wonder what she is thinking. "I'm sorry about what I said last Friday, I was weary and tired."

"It's okay," I reply to her.

Rachel sits down on the edge of my bed. "Uh... do you still need my Spanish tutoring service?" She didn't want to ask that, I'm sure.

"I found someone who's gonna tutor me. Thanks." Why did I even say that?!?! Of course I want her to tutor me!

"Really, who?"

"Melissa."

"Gibson?" Rachel looks surprised.

"Yeah. What about her?"

"But, she is--- a cheerleader."

"Yeah, so?" I say.

"I thought you didn't like hanging out with popular people?"

"She is--- really nice." I lied. Melissa is rude. "Besides she's just gonna tutor me. That's all. You look worried."

"What? No, no, not at all," she fake giggles. "Okay," she stands up, "I have to go now."

"This is really weird, Rachel," I tell her before she could even reach my door.

Rachel turns to me and I just frown at her face. There is a moment of silence. Rachel looks away, looking really sad. I look down and nudge my glasses up the bridge of my nose.

"Look, I am sorry I kissed you. I--- wasn't thinking clearly," she finally starts. "But, why are you acting like you have forgotten about it? I talk to you, but you don't look at me in the eye. I texted you, but you didn't reply to me. Are you avoiding me?"

"I'm not avoiding you, Rachel. I was sleepy that night and it was freakishly late already," I tell her. "I mean, the truth is--- I like you. I really like you. I actually want to be with you all the time." I pause. "I liked that kiss."

I can see Rachel's face turning red. But she just stiffened. I just want to ask her one question. If she answers me what I'd expect her to say. I will back out of Melissa's proposition. "Why did you kiss me, Rachel?"

Rachel stares at me awkwardly. "I---I, uh..." If Rachel tells me 'because I like you too', I will be hers forever.

Her hands are trembling and she is getting pale. "I was--- experimenting," she looks down, "and the truth is, I liked that kiss."

She liked that kiss.

My mind begins to race. Butterflies are bursting out of my stomach. My heart flips and my pulse begins to beat quickly. She is my soul mate. If Rachel dares to kiss me at this very moment, I will not hesitate. Melissa was right. Rachel is gay. I just couldn't believe what I just heard. I want to kiss her right now.

"Can we have--- coffee together?" I ask her. Wait, I just asked her out. I don't even drink coffee. I don't even know what to do right now. This situation is very awkward.

"I can't," she replies.

Suddenly, as I heard the words, I can't, my heart just stopped beating. I feel like running out of air. I think I'm going to pass out. "Why not? Don't you like coffee?" My heart then starts beating so fast. I'm sure she likes me too. Did she even say 'I like you, too'? She didn't.

She smiles, "I like coffee," then frowns. "But my parents will kill me. Not literally, but I will die if they'll find out about the real me." She tells me straight forward.

"That's crazy, they're your parents. They will accept you for who you are. Believe me." I tell her convincingly.

"You don't know them, Dani. I just can't tell them that I am this. They're different. My mom is against same-sex marriage. My brother hates gays. My dad is a congressman. If people will find out that the congressman's daughter is a lesbian, his reputation is ruined. His enemies will use it against him. My mom thinks it's embarrassing to have a gay child. Whether you like it or not, some people aren't really open about homosexuality. And you have to accept that," she grabs the door knob, "I gotta go."

I stop her. "We can hide this, please. I really like you," I beg her.

"I like you, too, Dani," she says it, "but as a friend. I'm sorry."

"Why did you kiss me?" there was no answer from her, and I realize that I have asked that question already, okay that was embarrassing, so I shift to another question. "Who do you like then?"

She smiles shyly, "there's this girl in one of my AP classes. But forget it, I can't even be with her, right?"

I feel sorry for Rachel. I get that she respects her dad and his reputation, but she should be happy too. She is an obedient daughter and every parent loves that. But her parents are selfish. All her dad thinks about is his rep. And everyone voted for him? Great. I frown.

As Rachel left, I get a text from Melissa saying she needs me down at the coffee shop. I immediately went out the house and borrowed my mom's car. While driving, I thought about what Rachel told me. I feel really happy that she likes girls as much as I do. But I feel sad that she is really scared to come out to her parents and I also feel awful that she likes another girl and not me. I wonder what this girl looks like.

Melissa was right. It's like she knows what's going to happen. I can't wait to tell her what Rachel had just confessed to me. Then I get another text from her:

MELISSA: I'm with Anna right now. You have to flirt with me to make her jelly. Awesome plan, huh?

ME: What?! Don't be ridiculous! I don't even know how to do that!

MELISSA: WTF? I thought we had an agreement?

ME: WTF too! Flirting isn't part of the agreement!

MELISSA: WWWWWTTTFFFFFFFFFF?!?!?!

I just got officially scared by that text. Even if Melissa is texting, she still appears to be rude and scary. I have no choice but to reply "Ok dokie!"