Chapter 9: The Muggle Homophobe Named Veronica

I remember getting ditched by a date five years ago and it really sucked. This cool guy asked me out, but Veronica told him I was a lesbian, which is true though. But that was just really rude. I never had one date in my entire life with either of both sexes. I just really wanted to try dating.

Veronica Mercedes, that narcissistic, perfect, blonde homophobic girl really hated me. I can't believe we used to be friends in elementary. Then, I told her that I liked her, like really liked her, she slapped me so hard that I had an instant blush on. That was the time when I decided not to have crushes on straight girls. I mean, they're straight, you'll only hurt yourself. There's just one thing I like about straight girls though, they fling a little bit, which is nice and all. Especially, when if didn't know you liked girls, they just keep hugging you and kissing your cheek. It's nice!

Anyway, Veronica told me I could change and we'd be friends again. But I told her the reality that I can never change. Once you're gay, you're gay for life. It just pisses me off when people say they were gay once and they went to this rehab facility or some religious conference, not that I am against religious activities, I am a church goer myself, and they claimed it changed them. We all know that's just stupid and not true.

Here's the truth, Veronica and I are never getting friends again. She hates people like me and I also hate people like her, a homophobe.

I actually thought she liked me too. We never really talked about boys. She liked taking photos of us, she kissed me on the cheek and kept hugging me most of the time we were together. We went home together, we ate lunch together, we bought clothes together and yadda, yadda. I thought she liked me too.

Well, maybe that was just what I wanted to think. Then I realized that she kissed and hugged or shopped with or went home with and yadda, yadda with every lady friend she had. I felt embarrassed with myself. But, I never regretted telling her that I liked her.

So yeah, since I didn't want to change nor I could, Veronica, then, told everyone I was a lesbian, my friends, teachers, even my parents. It sucked because I was supposed to be the one to discuss it with them not her! My mom was so disappointed and broken hearted. She wept and wept for hours, but eventually accepted me for who I am. My dad, on the other hand, already knew which shocked me. I asked him how, he just said he just knew, like okay. And for the first time in my entire life, I felt partially free, free from hiding the real me, however, not so free from criticisms and discrimination. I knew hate crimes and other horrible stuff will come and I was willing to accept them. I just prayed to god and thanked him for giving me the kind of parents that I needed. I also asked god if he could shut Veronica's mouth about me and my gayness. And god did, well not directly. I transferred to another town after my elementary graduation. Veronica could say whatever she wanted to say about me. I didn't care.

Anyway, prior to my graduation, two kids had shoved me to the lockers and calling me gay. My schoolmates knew where I lived and they would throw rotten eggs at our front door. Some had attempted to cut my hair short because they said it is how lesbians look like. Well, guess what, I didn't want to cut my hair even if it's frizzy and dry. I liked it long. And I didn't want to dress up like a guy because I didn't want to!

With all those shoving and criticisms, of course, I felt really bad. I would cry every night because of it. I didn't want my parents to know because obviously, it would hurt them. I thought of transferring to another school, but I was graduating. So I just stayed strong.

I graduated elementary school with a lot of haters. I mean, I didn't expect that kids back then were so ignorant and some were oblivious such as Veronica. She was just a really close minded, horrible, crazy person. After graduation, my parents then decided that we move in another town for me. It was hard and all but it was for the good.

***

So, I told Melissa everything I knew about Veronica, and she believes and supports me. And when I was telling her my story, her top 5 reactions were:

a. what the fuck?;

b. no way;

c. she did?;

d. that bitch; and

e. I hate her already.

And when I told her that Veronica is running for student council and is recruiting Rachel, and Veronica might find out about the truth about Rachel liking girls, and Veronica might tell everyone and eventually Rachel might get hurt, Melissa's replies were:

1. "We are running for student council. Both of us. We need to protect your girl, Santiago."

The truth is, I don't really want to run because Rachel will hate me forever. I mean, I have to support her running, but if this is what it takes to protect her, I have to run against her. How come suddenly Melissa has become my best friend? Yesterday, she went, I really don't care and none of your business. I know she doesn't really care about Rachel, but suddenly she goes, We need to protect your girl, Santiago.

2. "I am running as president and you will be my VP. I need more gay people in our team."

I don't get why she needs gay people. She doesn't really tell me her inner thoughts. I think she's only doing this because she has to have good credits and go to a good university. Or maybe, she is thinking about a group against oppression, which is ironic because, Melissa, herself, is really scary and even when you're just looking at her, you think you already are being mentally bullied even if you're not. She hasn't really bullied me, but she says loads of bad words in front of me. And, it is discomforting.

3. "We need to have a good platform. Well, not really, I am already popular, I am sure people will vote for us."

Um. She really is conceited. Running for student council isn't just about the popularity. It is about the platform and plans about the school's future. I know she is really popular, she has been nominated for prom queen for a few times already and she won all of those nominations.

4. "It would have been much better if Rachel was in our team, I don't really like her that much but, I mean, her dad's in politics, we will need legit mentoring from her dad."

Not a good idea, Rachel has been hiding her true self to anyone to save her father's career. Teaming up with us will ruin her not-coming-out plan. And besides, even if I ask her, she isn't going to team up with a bunch of gay people. Her dad will definitely find out.

5. "What she (Veronica) did to you in elementary is inexcusable. She has to be stricken by one of the three unforgivable curses. Crucio is good enough. We are crushing Veronica Mercedes!"

I think she is talking about a curse from Harry Potter. I hope Melissa didn't mean to say it, I really don't want to crush Veronica or anyone in particular. I might get detention again. And what if Veronica's changed, according to Rachel, Veronica seems so sweet. But, I want revenge in some way after what she has done to me.

6. "No. Avada Kedavra is what she needs. Muggle homophobes should be exterminated."

Melissa sounded really awkward while saying this line. I had no idea that she is a Harry Potter fan. She just looks so serious about stuff. She also told me that she got a letter from Hogwarts via Pottermore.com, shopped in Diagon Alley and got a wand at Ollivander's. I had no idea what she was talking about.

7. "She is really getting popular. She might join the cheerleading squad. She might be crowned captain. No way! I have to retrieve my crown! I need good grades! I have to graduate this year!"

I don't have a comment on that.

(Trivia. lol. The first half of this chapter was the very first draft I ever wrote for this story.)