Chapter 6: Melissa or Miranda or Melinda something

Wait... what???

She likes me? That seems impossible since I'm really ugly and awkward.

I just stare at her and stiffen.

Why?

Why me? I'm a loser.

Why me? I'm ugly.

I can't find the exact words to say to her, "I...uh...I...w-why..."

She shoots me a glance, "Yo! Stop stuttering!"

"W-why me? I'm a l-lo--"

"An open lesbian, you're exactly what I need," she cuts me off. "Just sit."

I immediately did what she told me to. My mind is out of thoughts. I cannot think of anything but ask, why me.

I gaze at her for a moment, studying her face, till I catch her dark eyes, then I immediately withdraw mine, pretending to gaze outside the glass walls. This is really awkward, I tell myself. I put my arms on the table and pout my lips while rocking my head like I am listening to music. I wait for her to say something to me. She seems to be studying the environment. "I love this McDonald's branch," she starts talking, thank god. "It isn't crowded. Unlike all the other stupid branches I've been to. I hate crowded places."

"But, aren't you a cheerleader? You perform to the crowd." I tell her.

"I hate everyone. I- hate- the- crowd." She emphasizes each word whilst gazing to my eyes, looking really serious and hot at the same time. I just shut my mouth.

"Eat. I bought this for us. I hope you like big macs." The cheerleader grabs the coke and drinks it all the way down then burps inelegantly loud. "Sorry," she beams at me. I slightly open my mouth, surprised by what I just witnessed. I grab my big mac, since I am hungry myself, and devour it little by little.

"So?" I ask while she consumes her big mac so fast.

"Alright," Melissa or Miranda or Melinda something speaks while her mouth is full, bits of food are falling from it then she wipes them with her black handkerchief. She then eventually talks properly, "By the way, I'm pretty sure you already know my name because I am really popular in school---"

"I don't." I tell her honestly. She widens her eyes and I got scared. "Actually, I do know your name. He, he. I was kidding." I fake giggle.

She raises an eyebrow, "Not funny. I know you don't know my name. Just admit it." She stares at me like I'm some kid who just got caught of doing something wrong.

"I forgot! I'm sorry."

"It's Melissa," she rolls her eyes. "Seriously? What planet do you live on? You don't even know who I am? The former captain of the cheerleading squad, the president of the Latin students club, the---I used to be a Red Cross volunteer---president of the---club---society," blah, blah, blah.

How snobbish. I really don't care about her achievements in life. So I interrupt her, "Okay, whatever, Melissa. It's just that I forgot your name. I was thinking about the names; Melissa, which is correct by the way, or Miranda or Melinda some---"

"Okay, okay. Whatever! Here's the thing," Melissa finished her burger. Wow, that fast? "I'm sure you've heard the rumors ---" she hesitates a little, "about me, right?"

I knitted my eyebrows and stare at her in silence.

"You've never heard?" she asks me and I shake my head. "What the hell?" She then sighs frustratingly. "Okay. Everyone at school spreads this crap about me being a lesbian."