Chapter 2: Unnoticed

On Tuesday, I woke up really early. I decided to change my physical appearance. Like literally change. I dyed my hair reddish brown, on my own. You know that color that turns red when stricken by extreme light, but other than that, just brown, under the roof.

I didn't wear my contacts anymore. I have always thought it was creepy anyway. I see all this info on the internet about wearing contacts, one of which, burning your eyes if you kept wearing it under the sun. I don't know if it's real. But anyway, I shifted to wearing my old glasses instead. However, I have second thoughts on wearing them.

1. It gives me a headache. So, I get to visit the eye doctor.

2. Eventually, when the eye doctor, or in medical terms, the ophthalmologist, asks me questions, I get to stutter or even choke on my own saliva and it's somewhat embarrassing because I have a crush on that eye doctor since the day I saw her. She is also my mom's eye doctor since we moved here.

3. I mean, to be honest, I do like eyeglasses, my idol, John Mayer had worn it some time, and he looked really good on it, but me, no. In school, I noticed that 3 out of 5 people who wear glasses are currently being bullied.

I mean, if this ratio were true, then there is a possibility that:

4. Marcus Cowen will double bully me. Like, he already keeps shoving me to my locker and would probably call me a four-eyed lesbian. I know it doesn't make sense, but I have no choice since I really find contact lenses creepy and uncomfortable. I guess I will have to wear glasses then. My heart is weeping.

***

At lunchtime, as I walk along the hallway, I observe that my usual bullies did not really notice me. No one has shoved me or called me gay so far. And where is Marcus anyway? He was supposed to shove or say something mean to me at this very moment. But I'm glad I don't see him anywhere.

Last period is almost over and still no one notices me. Maybe, because of my new look: the glasses and the hair, I mean. My clothes today are sort of different as well. I wore the ones bought by mom.

This day is getting better and better.

After classes are finally over, I fly to the auditorium to serve the drama club. I paint trees and chairs while listening to good music, John Mayer.

After an hour, I ride to the southern portion of the school to clean bathrooms. As I enter the bathroom (the women's bathroom to be exact), I hear someone humming by the last cubicle. I feel the cold wind blowing on my skin. Creepy. My heart starts to pump faster. The hum is getting creepier and creepier. It sounds like Beethoven's Mondscheinsonate.

But later on, the hum shifts to a singing voice of a woman. Gee, I thought there was something paranormal in here. Hearing a singing voice is much better than hearing a humming one. The singer of the voice is fairly good. The song is not familiar though.

I enter the first cubicle and rest my buttocks on the toilet seat cover then I start scrubbing the walls with a tiny toothbrush I saw by the corner. The walls are crammed with vandals and a little bit of graffiti, which sucks because I have to clean them and make the walls appear new again. I see one saying "Fuck Chopra!" which I find really impolite because the guy is really awesome.

I start humming too since I get so bored easily. Then, I start singing this random song in my head.

"Soy un perdedor," I pause, "I'm a loser, baby," And I begin cocking my eyebrows. "So, why don't 'ya kill me," it's just that this song connects to me.

I sing it again. "Soy un perdedor, I'm a loser, baby, so, why don't 'ya kill me," and again and again, repeating the lyrics absentmindedly.

"Hey!" It's the new girl, beaming at me. I just mentally shriek. Did she just hear me sing? This is embarrassing. I can feel my face burning. What should I reply to her? She is smiling. And she has an attractive smile. And I haven't even expressed my gratitude to her yet after what she did to me in Spanish class.

"Uh, hi!" I smirk. That's it? Uh, hi? It's all you can say. No! I should say something to her. "So, why are you still here, it's late?" Ugh! Stupid question. I am trembling inside. She is dreadfully gorgeous.

"Detention." She starts wiping the mirrors. So, this new girl was the lady humming earlier. Freaked me out a little bit. But, okay, her response to my question was really short. I feel awkward now. Should I plug in my earphones instead? No, that would be rude, I mean, what if she talks to me, and I don't hear her. She will hate me.

The new girl probably doesn't want to talk to me right now. But she said hi first, or hey or was it hello? I'll just shut up.

I continue scrubbing the walls. But I want to talk to her. I mean, she is new here. She probably doesn't even have friends yet.

"So did you punch someone or whatever?" I let out a fake giggle.

She cocks her eyebrows and nods, "Yep, I did," and she starts smiling. "Marcus Cowen, actually."

"Really?" I could feel my smile stretch up to my ears.

Holy cow! She punched Marcus. I didn't expect that answer. I guess there are two of us now who have actually punched the tough Marcus. She and I are so meant to be. Wait, what?

My heart is flipping and my pulse is beating so fast. I think I have a crush on her. The thought of her punching Marcus turns me on. No wonder why I didn't see Marcus today. He probably got embarrassed when a girl hit him.

"He has this," new girl emphasizes her right eye with her right hand, "hugest black eye. He actually got suspended for a few days, you know," she giggles.

Suspended too? Wow. This girl is awesome. I have never felt so happy in my entire life. Marcus Cowen, gone for six days. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! I totally have a crush on this girl. She's really cool. And then the thought of Veronica (my ex-crush) comes into my mind. No, what if new girl is straight? I mentally shake my head. I withdraw my physical attraction to her.

But I just can't.

"What did he do to you anyway?" I ask, trying to make a conversation.

"He tried to pick on me yesterday after I saved this girl's life in Spanish class, so I beat his face up."

Huh? I frown. New girl does not recognize me too? Okay, thanks to my new look.

"I'm really sorry that that girl had to go through crap like that. Marcus tried to hit me, and Principal Chopra saw it. So, yeah," she shrugs. Wow, she is concerned about me and my feelings. But still, I frown.

"You okay?" she asks, still wiping the mirrors.

"Yeah, it's just that you don't recognize me at all. Do you?"

"No, I don---" she leans in closer to me and looks at me very carefully, making me want to lose consciousness, and after a few seconds, she snaps her fingers. "Holy crap!" and points her index finger to me, "you're that girl whose shirt was burning in Mrs. Rodriguez's class!" Finally, she remembers me. I mentally roll my eyes.

"Weird. All this time I thought you recognized who you were talking to," I say, looking expressionless. And by the way, I got a first degree burn on my back.

"I'm sorry. It's just that," she giggles, which I think is cute, "you kinda look different right now." She seems sorry though. I forgive her since she's very cute. "With the hair and those glasses, you know, it's not that you look bad in it or something," she emphasizes, "you actually look good. And I have never seen you this close, you know, like eye-to-eye."

"It's okay," I smile, "and thanks!" Ha! She told me I look good in my glasses. "Thanks for saving my life"

"You're welcome. I'm Rachel Rivera. I'm new here," she offers her hand.

"I'm Dani. I'm old... here," I smile as I shake her soft hand.

And she offers a warm smile.