Chapter Seventy Two: We All Go A Little Mad Sometimes

The coyote growls again. It makes eye contact with Trinity before quickly fleeing.

Trinity and Allison chase after it. "Split up, I have an idea. Just don't let it get away!" Trinity shouts before heading in a different direction. Allison continues to run before leaping into the air, shifting into a panther, and continuing her pursuit.

Trinity runs through the woods and shifts into a hawk.

The coyote weaves through the trees of the forest. Suddenly a patch of earth rises from the ground, creating a wall in front of it. The coyote stops and heads in a different direction. Allison follows after it. Another wall of earth appears and the coyote takes another turn. Walls begin appearing faster and faster, herding the coyote in a certain direction. A large wall appears in front of the coyote, leaving it nowhere to run. It turns around only to see Allison in the form of a panther.

Trinity; in the form of a hawk, lands on the ground and shifts into her original form. She steps forward, looking at the coyote. The coyote warily backs away, making sure not to get too close to Allison. Trinity opens her mouth, releasing a mighty roar.

The coyote whines and lowers its head to the ground before shifting into a brunette girl. She looks at her limbs in awe before looking at Trinity, a hint of fear in her eyes.

"We're not going to hurt you," Trinity says softly. Allison shifts back to her human form and walks around the girl, coming to stand next to Trinity.

The girl looks between the two. "Who are you?"

"My name is Trinity Clairborn." She says before motioning to Allison. "This is my friend Allison Rayne."

"You guys are like me? You turned into a hawk." She looks at Allison. "And you were a panther."

"Do you know what you are?" Allison asks. "Did someone tell you about this?"

The girl shakes her head. "One minute I'm running away and the next I was a coyote."

"You didn't know how to change back," Trinity says. "How long have you been like this?"

"I-I don't know. I wasn't keeping count."

"What's your name?"

"Malia. Malia Tate."

Elena tosses and turns in her bed, trying to fall to sleep. She sighs and gets up. She walks down the stairs and into the kitchen. She goes to the refrigerator and opens it, taking out a jug of milk. She sets it on the counter and opens a cupboard. She takes out a glass and fills it with milk. She puts the milk back in the refrigerator before placing the glass in the microwave, warming it up.

"Can't sleep?" 'Connor' asks from behind her.

Elena gasps and turns around only to see no one there. The microwave beeps, making her jump in fright. She takes the glass out of the microwave and turns around. She gasps at the sight of 'Connor' leaning against the counter.

"You know it makes sense; guilty conscience." He says.

"You're not here. I'm...I've got to be dreaming." She says.

"And how do you know that I'm not here?" He steps towards her and she backs away.

"Because you're..."

"Go on, say it."

"Because you're dead."

"Yes, I am. Was that the first time that you've taken a human life?"

"You're a ghost. That's gotta be it. You're a ghost, that's what's happening right now. Jer...Jeremy. Jeremy!" She calls.

Jeremy wakes up at the sound of Elena's voice.