Chapter Fifteen: A Few Good Men

A man is backpacking through the woods near the church ruins. He hears the sounds of twigs snapping and turns around, coming face to face with Harper, the vampire from the tomb, who still looks hungry. "Jeez! You scared me."

"Do you know what day it is?"

"Saturday."

"And what year?"

"It's 2010. Are you OK?"

"Thank you."

"Wait, what's your name?"

"It's Harper, sir."

The man inches closer to Harper, observing him. "How did you get out here? And why are you dressed like that?"

"You seem like a very nice person. I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

Harper extends his fangs and bites down on the man's neck. The man screams loudly.

Harper has killed the man. He has also taken his clothing. He pats himself down when a cell phone goes off in his pocket. Confused, Harper takes the phone out and throws it down onto the ground. He quickly leaves the woods.

Elena is sitting on the porch swing, her journal laid out on her lap and her phone up to her ear as she leaves Bonnie a voicemail. "Hey, Bonnie, it's me just checking in, seeing how you're doing. We miss you here. Don't let your aunt drive you too crazy." Jenna walks up onto the porch and stops to look at Elena while sipping her coffee. "Come home soon. Love you." She hangs up.

"What are you doing out here? It's cold."

"Thinking, writing. The, uh, funeral for Bonnie's grandma, it brought back a lot about mom and dad. I was wondering...you said that you would do some digging about them, the adoption."

"Right."

"So did you? Dig?"

"Come on inside." They go inside. Jenna pulls out her laptop and sits down at the dining table and Elena stands next to her, removing her jacket. "Your dad kept everything from his medical practice...records, logs, old appointment books." She pulls out a journal and opens it, showing a page to Elena. "I found an entry from the night you were born. Patient and a birth date. Isobel Peterson."

"Do you think that's her real name?"

"Pregnant teenage runaway? Probably not. First name, maybe. But where'd she get Peterson? Classmate? Best friend? So I binged it." She pulls up the internet and types in a name in the search engine. "I searched for all the Petersons in this area born the same year as Isobel, found three. Two men and a woman; Trudie, who lived in Grove Hill, Virginia."

"That's not far from here."

"Well, watch this." Jenna types something else into the search engine and pulls up an image of Isobel from high school.

"Isobel." Elena looks at the picture with a smile. "She was a cheerleader."

"Trudie still lives there." She hands Elena a post-it note. "This is her address."

"What about Isobel?"

"I couldn't find anything about her." Jenna says. Elena looks disheartened as she sits down at the table. Jenna briefly pauses before divulging new information. "Listen. There's something else. Mr. Saltzman; Ric, his wife was from around here, and her name was also Isobel."

"Wait. 'Was', as in..."

"She died."

Later, Elena is putting away clothes in her drawer. Trinity sits on her bed.