Chapter Twenty Nine: Masquerade

At the boarding house, Caroline is sitting on the couch. Damon gives her a glass of blood. "Here."

"I'm still shaking." She says before taking a drink.

Stefan and Trinity walk in. "What happened?" He asks, seeing the look on Caroline's face.

Damon smirks. "Go ahead, tell them. You're gonna love this."

"I saw Katherine today." She says.

"Where?" Trinity asks.

"At the grill. I just stopped by to gawk and...quasi-stalk Matt."

Flashback: Mystic Grill

Matt sees Caroline staring. "Do you need a table?" He asks.

"No, I'm not staying. I just needed to use the little girls' room."

"Skip the teen drama and get to it." Damon interrupts.

She sighs. "Then I had to pretend to use the bathroom even though I didn't really have to go because I'm a doofus."

Caroline is in the bathroom washing her hands when 'Elena' walks in. "Elena?"

"Hey, I saw you with Matt, are you okay?" She asks with a look on concern.

"Yeah, you know...whatever." She tries to flash past her but Katherine catches her and pulls her back.

"You're good. What gave me away? Was it the hair? Or was it my clothes?" She asks.

"I know Elena is...I know Elena's at home."

"I need you to deliver a message."

"What was the message?"

"Tell Damon and Stefan that I want the moonstone or I will rip this town apart until it rains blood."

"Tell him the rest of it." Damon says.

"Tonight, at the masquerade ball." Katherine says.

Present

"She wants to do it in public. Killing Mason threw her off guard." Stefan says.

Damon smiles. "She's running scared. What she did to Jenna was desperate. She's out of tricks."

"We can't underestimate her. We have to play this smarter than her."

"Can we just give her the moonstone so she'll leave?" Caroline asks.

Damon scoffs. "No, Katherine's not getting dick. I've had it. I'm gonna go to the masquerade ball and I'm gonna kill her, tonight." He looks at Trinity. "You don't have a problem with that do you?"

Trinity shrugs. "I barely know her." She says. Maybe once she's gone I'll stop feeling so much.

"You're not gonna kill her." Stefan says.

Damon rolls his eyes. "Don't give me that goody-goody crap."

"You're not gonna kill her."

"Really?"

"Because I am."

Matt, Jeremy, and Elena are helping Jenna up the porch steps. "Easy. Grab the door Jer." Matt says.

Jenna sighs. "Hey, stop fussing, I'm fine."

"The doctors said that you have to take it easy." Elena tells her.

"Yeah, you don't want to rip your stitches, hemorrhage and die, alright?" Jeremy asks.

She rolls her eyes. "Yeah, the only thing I'm gonna die from is embarrassment."