Chapter Twenty Three: The Return

Elena enters to find John on the floor, bleeding badly. She rushes over to him and tries to stop the bleeding. She grabs the phone and calls 911.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Hi, I-I need an ambulance to 2104 Maple Street." She says in a panicked voice.

John sees Katherine watching the scene. "Behind you." He whispers.

"What?" Elena asks.

"Behind you!"

Elena turns around and gasps but she sees no one there. She grabs the bloody knife and cautiously approaches the hallway. Katherine speeds around, frightening Elena before she runs out the door. Elena is terrified, and then she remembers Jeremy. "Jeremy!" She races up the stairs to his room. "Jeremy! Jeremy!" She rushes to his bed and shakes him. "Please, Jeremy, wake up!"

He takes a deep breath as his eyes snap open.

John is taken away in the ambulance. Stefan arrives at the house. The officer tries to keep Stefan from entering.

"He's okay," Elena says.

Stefan follows Elena upstairs to Jeremy's room. "What happened?"

"He said that Anna gave him her blood and then he took these pills and now...I mean he looks fine but then again so do you. So, I just...I don't know."

Stefan takes Jeremy's face in his hands and examines his eyes. "Look at me."

"I'm fine, okay? I feel exactly the same." Jeremy says.

"Should I call a paramedic up here? What should I do?" Elena asks.

Stefan looks at Jeremy's eyes. "No, he's fine."

"You mean I'm not a vampire? Damn it!"

"Don't say that Jeremy!" Elena tells him. "Jer, why would you want that?"

"Did you hear about Anna, what happened to her tonight? She's dead."

"Jeremy, Jeremy. Come here, sit down." Stefan pushes Jeremy back down on the bed. He grabs his face in his hands and makes him look at him. "I am very sorry about Anna but it's very important that you listen to me right now. With every passing moment, Anna's blood is leaving your system. If you try to kill yourself right now, you could really die." Jeremy looks away. "Hey!" He slaps him. "Do you understand me?!"

"Stefan..." Elena says.

Jeremy nods. "Yeah, I understand."

"Good." Stefan gets up and stands next to Elena.

"What about the pills that he took?"

"He didn't take enough to die so Anna's blood actually healed him, I bet."

A policeman knocks on the doorframe of Jeremy's room. "Miss Gilbert?"

"I'll be right there."

"You need to be at the hospital," Stefan tells her.

"But..."

"No, no, no, I'll stay here with Jeremy."

"No, I don't need a babysitter." He interjects.

"Yes, you do," Elena says.

Trinity dries her hair as she walks out of the bathroom. She checks her phone and sees missed calls and texts from Stefan. When she finishes checking them she tosses her phone to the bed and starts getting changed so she can head to the hospital.

Matt is sitting alone outside of Caroline's room.

Bonnie arrives and walks over to him. "How is Caroline?"