Chapter Sixty Six: The Departed

Flashback: Gilbert House

Elena's alarm goes off, she turns up the music and gets out of bed. She pulls her hair up into a ponytail and dances a bit in front of the mirror. She grabs her pom-poms and throws them onto the window seat where her cheerleader uniform is laid out. After changing into her uniform, Elena walks downstairs and into the kitchen where Aunt Jenna is making coffee.

"Hey." Jenna smiles.

"Jeremy locked himself in the bathroom again. Does he think we don't know what he's doing in there?" Elena asks.

"He's 14. They don't think." Elena grabs the coffee pot, but Jenna takes it back. "Hey, you'll get me in trouble."

Miranda walks into the kitchen. "Good morning." She greets.

"Morning mom." Elena smiles. Miranda kisses her on the cheek.

Present

Elena wakes up in a hospital bed and looks around. Meredith and Jeremy are outside her room, observing her.

"She's gonna be fine." Meredith says. "She got a little banged up today, hit her head, but it was just a slight concussion, nothing to worry about."

"But she collapsed, there was blood." Jeremy tells her.

"Honestly, Jeremy, she's okay. She's just...she's been through a lot. Is there anyone you want to call?"

Damon, Stefan, and Trinity are driving towards the Atlantic to dump Klaus' body. Jeremy has called them from the hospital.

"You did what?" Damon asks.

"I took her to the hospital. When you find your sister unconscious, you call 911." Jeremy tells them.

"Not when you have a parade of vampires at your disposal!"

"Every remaining Original is gonna want Elena dead to stop Alaric. She's a sitting duck in there." Stefan says.

"Well, Meredith wants to keep her here for observation."

"Jeremy, get Elena home, we're on our way." Damon hangs up on him. "Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you not being the dumbest brother on Earth?"

"You know one of us needs to keep moving, right? If Klaus really is the sire of our bloodline, we need to keep his body hidden before Alaric finds him, kills him, and we all end up dead." Stefan tells him.

"Our life is one, big proverbial coin-toss."

"Well, I'm going with whoever has to hide Klaus." Trinity says.

Meredith walks into her office and is startled by the sight of Alaric sitting at her desk.

"Hello, Meredith." He greets.

"What are you doing here?" She asks.

"I'm Elena's guardian. I thought it was strange I didn't get a phone call."

"How did you find out?"

"I have eyes and ears everywhere now. It's funny; the people of this town are actually good at their jobs when you allow them to be. Speaking of, you are a little too good at your job." He gets up and opens a mini fridge, pulling out a rack of test tubes filled with vampire blood. "But that's because you cheat. So, I found your stash of vampire blood." He opens the test tubes and starts pouring the blood onto her desk.

"No, stop it! No, don't do that, stop it!"

He empties the last tube of blood on her desk. "The council will be in touch with the medical board to have your license suspended. Mayor Lockwood and Sheriff Forbes are being relieved of their duties. I'm getting this town back under control." He takes Elena's medical folder out of Meredith's hands. "And you will be releasing Elena to my custody." He signs the paperwork and hands it back to a distraught Meredith. He exits the room and walks towards Elena's hospital room. He walks in only to find the room empty.