Chapter Six: Lost Girls

Flashback: Mystic Falls, Virginia, 1864

Stefan is waiting on the doorstep. A carriage arrives and a servant steps out to help Katherine down.

"You must be Miss Pierce." Stefan kisses her hand.

She smiles. "Please, call me Katherine."

"What are you?" Elena asks looking at Stefan, she looks at Trinity. "What are you?"

"You know." Stefan realizes.

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do, or you wouldn't be here." Trinity says.

"It's not possible. It can't be." Elena shakes her head.

"Everything you know...and every belief that you have is about to change. Are you ready for that?" Stefan asks.

"What are you?" Elena asks.

"I'm a vampire." He answers.

"I shouldn't have come." Elena runs away.

Stefan appears in front of her. "No. Please."

"No. No." She backs away. "How did you do that?"

"Please don't be afraid of me." Stefan begs.

"Elena, it's okay." Trinity says from behind her.

"Let me go." Elena says.

"No. Elena, there's things that you have to know and understand." Stefan says.

"Let me go!"

"Elena, please." Stefan says.

She runs around him and to her car.

Trinity watches her drive away. "We have to go after her." She looks at Stefan.

Stefan nods. "I know."

Elena closes her bedroom door and turns around. She jumps back when she sees Stefan and Trinity.

"Elena. I would never hurt you. You're safe with me." Stefan tells her.

"All those animal attacks, those people who died-" She starts.

"That wasn't him." Trinity explains. "That was Damon."

"Damon?" She asks.

"Yes." Stefan nods. "I don't drink human blood. That's not how I choose to survive, but Damon does. I'll explain everything to you, but I beg you, Elena, do not tell anybody."

"How can you ask me that?" Elena asks.

"Because you knowing this, is dangerous for so many reasons. You can hate me, but I need you to trust me." Stefan says.

"Just go. Just go, please. Go." Elena tells him. "If you mean me no harm, then just go."

"I never wanted this." Stefan says. Elena stares at him, waiting for him to leave. Trinity grabs Stefan's hand and they disappear.

Damon burns the dead bodies at the cemetery. He picks up a cellphone and dials a number.

"Hello." Stefan answers.

"I want my ring."

Trinity looks at Stefan, hearing Damon's voice on the phone.

"Where are you?" Stefan asks.

Damon looks at the burning bodies. "I'm at the sizzler. I had the buffet. Where's my ring?"

"I don't have it. Where are you? What have you done?" Stefan asks.