Chapter Forty: The Last Dance

Trinity is in the kitchen taking out a glass. She sees a shadow out of the corner of her eye. She turns her head. "Stefan?" She calls. She walks out of the kitchen. She turns her head when she sees a figure walk around the corner. She rushes to follow it. She runs up the stairs and looks around for the figure. She turns around and jumps in shock at the sight of Stefan.

"What's wrong?"

She looks back down the hallway and looks at him. "Where you..."

"What? Are you ok?" She walks further down the hallway. "Trinity."

She looks back and forth. "Someone was here. Something..." She looks around.

He grabs her shoulders. "Trinity...your eyes."

"What?"

He takes her face in his hands. "Did you take something?"

"No!" She sees the figure walk around the corner and pulls away from him. "Hey!" She chases after it, Stefan following after her. She looks around. "Where'd they go?"

"Trinity, no one is here." Stefan tells her.

"No, someone is." She shakes her head.

"Trinity...is this your Quickening?"

"What?"

"You said that it was progressing." He says. "You're seeing things that aren't there."

Klaus; in Alaric's body opens the closet and takes out two shirts. He turns to Katherine, who is tied to a chair. "Oh! Who is this guy, Safari Sam?" He holds up the shirts. "Ok, bad, or badder?"

"The dark colors suit you better." She says.

"Oh, thank you, honey. Ok, pop quiz. The dagger and white ash are in the Salvatore's possession, correct?"

"The dagger was used to kill Elijah. You'll find him in the basement of the Salvatore house."

"Ok, that dagger needs to stay exactly where it is. The last thing I need to do is resurrect Elijah. Ohh, that guy is a buzzkill."

"Don't forget you're on the outs with your girlfriend Jenna."

"Right. Elena's aunt. For all the lies about Isobel." He looks into her eyes. "What else?" He compels.

"Trinity."

"Ah! Stefan's best friend. What can she do?"

"She can turn into animals." She answers, glad that he left a hole in the compulsion. The last thing she wants to tell him about is Trinity's potential immortality.

"What?"

"She's a shapeshifter."

"A werewolf."

She shakes her head. "She can turn into any animal she wants."

He circles around her. "I've been around for a thousand years. How come I've never heard of such a creature?"

"I don't know. Apparently, she's the last."

Klaus's eyes shine with interest. "Well I can't let such a rarity go to waste can I. What else?"

"That's it."

He gets closer to her and touches her face. She flinches back. "Oh, so jumpy."

"Please, just...kill me. I've told you everything that I know."

"You see, I believe that you believe that, but what would you not know? What could they be keeping from you? Hmm? Anything? Tell me." He compels her.