Curse Proofed

(DAYU)

Five months later...

"Did I wished for this?" I asked Qing as we watch the two lovebirds in front of us doing nauseating things like kissing and teasing each other.

Wang Ying is in love again. To a geeky accountant in her father and brother's company.

And the two of them are not afraid to show the world how much they love each other. Hugging and kissing, not caring who can see them.

Ah...love. It's gross sometimes.

Qing is not happy either, "This is a family dinner. Is he family?" He asked his sister who ignored him in favor of feeding her lover sliced fruits.

Then they giggle together.

"Oh boy," I turn to hide my face on Qing's side arms. I feel like I am getting ready to puke. "I cannot take it anymore."

"Close your eyes, love," Qing turn his head to kiss my forehead. I felt a little calmer after that.

"Dayu Gege!" My sister, ten year old Ai La, ran to my side.

Finally, the adoption paper my parents filed to adopt Ai La was approved two months ago. It got delayed because the social workers are tracking every possible relatives of Ai La that had the first rights to take care of her. But they all rejected my sister so she was given to my parents and to me.

"What is it?" I adore her. Everything about her is lovable.

"I saw a ghost. She is looking for you," Ai La said.

Except for that.

She doesn't really saw a ghost. She cannot see them. But she lied about them most of the time. With my parents' encouragement. Ai La fits in our weird family.

"I will talk to her later," I said.

"Promise?" She looks too cute in her twin braids and jumper dress.

"Yes," I nodded.

"Okay," she ran back inside the big house of Qing's parents where we are having dinner with our two set of parents. My sister. Qing's sister and her new lover.

This is our family now.

Bunch of weird people.

Like Qing's sister and her boyfriend and the way they make googly eyes at each other.

I really cannot take it anymore.

I stood up from the lanai seat and tug Qing's hand. "Let's go. I don't want to have nightmares tonight,"

"Good thinking, love." Qing stood up too and put an arm around me as we walk back inside his parents' home.

We saw our parents in the living room as we wait for dinner to be announced. Our mothers are jiving, as they both pressure us to get married. (No. Not yet, is our automatic reply in their incessant nosiness)

Our fathers are more relaxed but they will not get in the way of their wives making their children's lives miserable.

It's really a good thing that we are living away from them. When it's just me and Qing in the condo, we can shut the whole world and drown in each other's arms.

Ah...love...it's hot alot of times.

"Dayu gege! Throw this for me," my sister gave me a piece of kidney bean size pebble that got stuck in her shoe when she went out to talk to me a while ago.

"Okay," I got the pebble from her and turn to throw it outside. But my aim was off and instead of flying outside the pebble hit the elonggated mirror near the side door of the house.

The mirror cracked by the force of pebble striking it and it eventually broke.

"Oh my," our mothers gasped while I was shocked to find that I broke Qing's mother's mirror.

"Oh no, Dayu." My mother got a worried look on her face. "Do you know what it means if you break a mirror?"

"That is a seven years of bad luck son. You just got cursed," my father said.

Cursed? I am cursed? Again?

I look at Qing who shrugged at me. I sighed and pout at him. Then I stood on tiptoe to kiss him long and hard which he returned in the same fervor.

"There!" I said when we separated. "That curse is done and broken. Because true love's kiss break any curse," I smiled at Qing.

He smiled back at me.

No curse can touch us now. We will just kiss them all away.

We are cursed proofed.