Fortune

(DAYU)

One and half years ago...

"Ma! I don't want!" I tried my hardest to stop my mother as she dragged me inside a creepy establishment. She held me by my wrist in a tug of war with my arm as a rope.

But I am losing.

My mother, a woman with 5'3 height and petite structure is winning against me who is almost 6 feet tall and outweighs her by at least thirty pounds.

But I cannot win against her. If my father is here, he will tell me these words:

"Stop struggling against your mother son. You will only get hurt. And I cannot help you..."

Coward. My father is a big coward. Oh how I pity him. But I love him so much too.

Unlike this evil witch. My mother always force me to do things. Drink my medicine, eat my vegetables, clean my room, shine my shoes and date women. She even set me up on blind dates with the daughters of her friends.

I hate her!

Okay, I don't hate her. I love my mom. But sometimes...she is just too much!

Like now, she is dragging me to see a fortune teller. Someone who can look at my star charts and miraculously say when I will meet the woman of my dream and the day that is most lucky for me to get married.

It's ridiculous! I don't believe in fortune telling. I don't like to know my future. I don't even like what will happen tomorrow or what the weather will be.

I am the kind of guy that likes living in the now. Now is the most important. Not the future! Fuck that!

I made sure not to say the last two words because my mom hates when I curse. She said my tongue will fall out.

Anyways...back to the now...

"Ma!" I tried digging my sneakers clad feet on the asphalt ground. "Please..."

"Feng Jian Yu!" My mother let go of my wrist and glared at me while putting her hands on her waist. "Listen to me, don't do this and I will really disown you!"

I perked up, "Really?! Aw!" My mother smacked my head. "Ma! That's child abuse!"

"I will abuse you more if you won't get your ass inside that door!" She pointed at the double door of the fortune teller shop.

"But Ma..."

"Dayu ah!" My mother won't back down.

I wanted to stomp my feet and stage a tantrum right there in the street. But I am afraid that my mother will really disown me if I do that. Even if she had threaten me with that for like a million times already.

I sighed. Then walked inside the fortune teller's shop to make her happy. Mothers are such inconvenient creatures. They make their son's lives complicated.

Or is it just me, the ungrateful loser son of my mother.

The inside of the fortune teller's shop is the cliche you all think about. Incense smell, gauzy curtains, colorful tapestry and a con artist looking woman with enough beads on her body and make up on her face to give me nightmares for at least a week.

"Sit down," Madam Ai Ba urged me and my mom to sit in front of her. There's a small low table in the middle of the cloudy room with a crystal ball and the madam is playing solitaire with her tarot cards.

I think she is cheating.

My mother sat down first and pulled my hand so I had no choice but to follow.