Separation

(DAYU)

I woke up sweating and thrashing on the bed.

"Wu La Jiejie!" I cried out as I pushed away the cover. I cannot breathe.

"Dayu!" My mother and father burst into the room. My mother hugged me. "What happened?" She asked worriedly.

I took deep breaths to calm myself. I think I am not blinking as my heart raced and my mind still foggy about that dream.

"A dream. A bad dream..." I gasped as I answer.

"I will get water..." my father said as he ran out of my room.

My mother rub my back to calm me down. I concentrated on breathing. My father came back with a glass of water. He helped me to drink.

But even with water, it still took me minutes to finally calm down.

"Are you okay now?" My mother caressed my cheek when she noticed that I am not sweating and gasping for breath anymore.

I nodded as I sniffed. "I dreamed of how Wu La died. It was an accident but Great GrandPa Wu Hai, who saw the whole thing, blamed Han Fei. Han Fei is the ancestor of the Wangs." I explained the dream to them.

My father nodded after my story, "I see. So that's why ancestor Wu Hai cursed the Wangs. Because of his grief."

"Yes,"

"What a sad story," my mother sat beside me. "All because of an accident and a misunderstanding. Generations of Fengs and Wangs suffered because of that."

My father pat my mother's shoulder. "But at least now we know the truth. Maybe we can talk to the Wangs and tell them the whole story. But for now, let's let Dayu rest some more."

My mother agreed to my father's suggestion. They made sure I am okay before my mother kiss and hug me. I smiled at her to assure her that I am fine.

When the door closed and I am alone again, I carefully lay down on my bed.

"Wu La?" I called her name.

"Yes?" She is sniffing.

"I'm sorry...I know that it's a hard memory for you..."

"You saw my brother's memory and not mine..."

I disagree, I think some of her thought mixed on that dream. I just look at it in Wu Hai's perspective.

"Maybe because I am directly related to him. His daughter, your niece, is my Great GrandMa. His blood directly coursing through mine." I just said. Too tired to explain my theory to her.

"Maybe. Please don't hate my brother..."

"No," I shook my head. "I don't hate him. I feel sad for him. To witness your death. The death of someone important to him must have really hurt him. No wonder he cursed Han Fei. And make the curses so difficult to break. His grief for you knows no bound."

"He cursed her on the day of her wedding to Wang Bao. My brother rushed inside the temple where she is getting married to curse her and her blood. Then he ran away to start over somewhere else. He just came back when Han Fei left with her husband. But the curse were uttered and Wu Hai already sacrificed our own family. I love him but he is stupid sometimes. But I still love him so much..."