Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The next day, Mr. Hudson was away and we had a supply. She was a ginger, middle-aged woman who found it vey hard to be heard over the chatter of the class. Since Mr. Hudson was away we had to do cover work, instead of practicing for the End Of Term Performance at the end of the year. Ellie was ill with the flu, so I was on my own. I sat down, sighing, at my usual seat at the back of the class, slumping in my chair. I plugged my headphones in my ears and turned on my iPod, scrolling through the songs until I reached More Than This. I selected it and closed my eyes, dropping my iPod in my lap.

Someone plopped down in the seat next to me. “Hey!”

I turned to find Liam grinning at me. I smiled and paused the song, “Hi Li.”

He smiled wider. “So, what are you doing?”

I held up my iPod, and he nodded. In awkward silence settled over us, so I turned back to the music, pressing play and letting the calming tunes wash over me. I sunk down in my chair, closing my eyes, getting lost in the music. I thought I heard my name being called once or twice but I chose to ignore it, it was probably my mind playing tricks on me. I felt completely at edge, though. The thought of Liam sitting in kissing distance was overwhelming.

Suddenly, I heard Liam’s voice shout my name. This time I couldn’t ignore it and my eyes snapped open, realizing the room was almost empty and Matt was stood before me, his hands resting on the desk. I looked up at his handsome face, disappointedly. It wasn’t Liam. “The lesson is over.” He stated. I nodded, and scrambled up, grabbing my bag and yanking the headphones from my ears. Matt turned and walked out the doors, probably following his friends. As I turned a neatly folded piece of paper floated to the ground. I bent down and picked it up.

Kate, It stood scrawled on the front, in Liam’s hurried writing. I unfolded it, my long hair falling in front of my eyes, as my eyes skimmed over the note.

Meet me by the gate; at 6pm. It’s a surprise.

Li xx

I smiled down out the tiny note, pulling my hair behind my ear quickly. I suddenly I remembered where I was and looked up. I was alone. Oops. I hurried to the door, slinging my handbag over my shoulder. I walked out the building, smiling to myself, and headed to Ellie’s dorm.

--------------

“Hi Kate.” Ellie said, when she opened the door in her pajamas. She really did look awful, her nose red and I slick of sweat on her forehead.

“Hey.” I said, leaning in and hugging her. She was boiling. I pulled her after me into her room. “God, El, you’re burning up! Have you taken any medicine?”

She looked at me sheepishly.

“El.” I moaned. “You have the flu, you have to take something!”

“I’m fine.” She assured me. Then, she shivered and crawled into bed.