Nico Di Angelo At School

Flash grabbed the man'sdaughter. He had just beat up the man, and the man pleaded for hisdaughter. Flash just laughed cruelly, and began to punch the littlegirl. The man's defeated face became one of fury, and he punchedFlash, and his daughter cheered him on. He kept punching, and asFlash's soul started to split from his body, he recalled thatdreadful child, Nico Di Angelo, from two years ago. The boy hadn'tbeen there for more than a week before he left. Then Flash realized,he knew.

The day started as anyother day. Kids bustled into the classroom. The morning air filledwith the slight scent of lemon air freshener. The teacher walked in,a companion close by. The classroom quieted down immediately at thesight of fresh meat. The bullies glared at him, trying to decide ifhe was worth their time. The jocks looked him up and down, sizing himup for football. The girls stared at the boy. Trying to decide if hewas handsome, weird or creepy. Then the teacher spoke up.

"Class, we have a newstudent here. Will you please introduce yourself?" The teacher saidpolitely.

"My name is Nico DiAngelo." He said, "I am not one to get on the wrong side with. Ihate sports. I won't fight unless I am forced to, in which I willcertainly try not to have happen. I can't do math or spelling. I willnot date anyone and I hate school. Any questions? No? Good." Nicosat down after his short speech the students looked bewildered. Hesat down in a seat in the back next to no one. As in a seat by theempty seats. No one sat in those! No one wanted to be alone.

"Mr. Di Angelo, would youlike to sit by someone?" the teacher asked.

"No." Nico said, "Andit's Nico. Just Nico." He said giving the teacher a frightful deathglare that nearly sent her tumbling out of her chair. Then the classcontinued. No one payed attention. They stared at the new kid. Hewasn't a wacko. He wasn't cool. He wasn't a jock. He wasn't ugly. Hewasn't handsome. He wasn't average. He wasn't a bully. He wasn'tanything. He was sort of goth, but not really. Then it clicked. Theschool of Scholar High had gotten it's first loner. A silence fellthrough the hallways later that day as he walked down to lunch.Anyone who tried to talk to him got a death glare that sent panicthrough their body. Suddenly a girl, one of the popular girls,finally decided he must be the mysterious handsome type.

"Hey handsome." Sheflirted. Nico looked up, looking ready to murder as she continued hernext words, "You got a girl?"

"No." Was her answer,"I've got a boy." With that, he stood up, and left. The entirecafeteria burst into whispers. The bullies agreed to approach himnext.

"Hey, wimp!" The kingof the bullies, Flash, shouted.

"Yes?" Nico turnedpatiently.

"So you admit that you'rea wimp?" Flash scowled.

"No. I admit I don't havetime for your idiotic jocks though." Nico said, completelymonotone, "After you get injured in one of your stupid games, youbecome useless, and forgotten."

"BURN!" A nerd shouted,but Flash made him shrink back.

"So you think this is agame?" Flash growled.

"Yes." Nico turned tohim, completely serious, "Life is a game of cat and mouse, and ofcourse, we all lose in the end."