Some Deals Can Hurt

The night passed very slowly for the two.

Caith refused to fall asleep, even with all of Merrick’s pleading.

Said guy was trying to keep himself busy with making things to keep her busy for the next month before she could find out about him.

“It’s almost daybreak.” Caith announced, breaking the silence that had fallen over them, “Maybe two more hours at most.”

“Then take this.” Merrick handed her a small book, “Keep it with you for the next month…. I must be going.”

Caith growled as he was moving away, “Merrick! Get back here. Right now!” She used her Alpha ability in the last two words, but didn’t know if it would work on a human like him.

To her upmost shock, it did.

=========≠==≠≠==≠≠≠≠============

Merrick had no idea what came over him right then, but he turned back and walked over to her, “What do you want?”

Caith, who was clearly shocked about something, shook her head, “You can’t…. just leave like that!”

“It’s for your own safety.” Merrick countered.

“To hell with the safety! Merrick what the hell is up with you?!” Caith snarled.

He turned away, “You don’t wanna know.”

Caith rolled her eyes, “Uh, actually I do wanna know!” She grabbed his wrist as he was about to move away, “Don’t make me try anything on you!”

Merrick growled and turned to face her, “I’m cursed, alright! That’s what’s up with me!”

Caith frowned, “Cursed?”

“Yes! And it’s for your own safety that you leave me now!” He snapped.

Caith, instead of doing as told, laughed, “Oh… that’s the problem… oh… for a second there I thought it was something horrible.”

Merrick blinked, “Pardon?”

Caith held up a hand as she caught her breath after laughing, “I thought you were dying or something worse… but... you’re cursed? Please… I’ve dealt with the devil and the King of Hell breathing down my necks… whatever your curse is… it can’t be worse than that.”

Merrick stared at her. The Devil? King of Hell? She’s dealt with them before?

“So… what’s this ‘curse’ anyway?” Caith questioned.

Merrick looked down, ashamed, “I’ll show you when the sun rises…” He moved away.

“Alright.” Caith shrugged, “Just know that when it does… I’m not gonna leave you.” She took his hand, “Okay? I’m not backing out of my promise…. and I’ll help you with this curse. I swear.”

Merrick looked at her in shock, “Y… you’d do that?”

Caith smiled, “Of course.” She punched his shoulder.

“Ow.” He rubbed it, “What was that for?”

Caith shrugged, “Just my way of showing I mean something to a friend.”

Merrick blinked, and pointed to himself with his free hand, “Friend?”

“Yes, ‘Friend’, you dummy.” She smiled a little more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The sky was soon changing colors.