chapter one

1 month later
september

I stretched my arms out, a yawn escaping my mouth as I heard a quiet clattering downstairs. I had yet to open my eyes, as I didn't want to wake up, until I realised what day it was.
My eighteenth birthday.
I immediately shot up, climbing out of the soft bed sheets and slipping on some joggers and a random hoodie. I didn't even care about how I looked, it was my birthday, my day.
As soon as I got downstairs I pushed open the kitchen door, nearly jumping out of my own skin as screams and cheers of happy birthday filled my ears. My hands cupped my face as I stared at some of my favourite people, consisting of my mom, aunt Claire, Kaylee, Ethan, and of course, Grayson.
I grinned wider than ever, overwhelmed as I was pulled into Grayson's arms, my face buried into his chest.
" who did this?! " I squealed, looking at the balloons and banners as soon as I pulled away, Grayson's hand still on my waist.
Nobody spoke, so I looked at Grayson, who looked proud and was smiling like an idiot.
" Gray! " I laughed, standing on my tiptoes and pecking his lips, my fingers trailing across his sharp jawline.
He smirked, kissing me once more before placing his other hand on my waist too.
" happy birthday Bella " He almost whispered, the largest grin on my face as I hugged him again, telling him thank you.
I was then pulled into hugs and wished a happy birthday by Ethan, Kaylee, aunt Claire, and of course, my mom.
" eighteen years ago the world was fucking distraught. Because you arrived " Kaylee joked, a large smirk on her face as her mom playfully slapped her arm.
" thanks grandma " I teased, while she scoffed, rolling her eyes dramatically.
" just because I'm going to be 20 next year, it doesn't mean I'm a grandma " She told me, while I winked, shrugging my shoulders.
My mom grabbed my hand, pulling me away from Grayson, before telling me to sit down in the living room. Everyone followed, Grayson sitting beside me while everyone else sat either on the opposite sofa or on the floor, where they could each see me perfectly.
" present time " My aunt Claire beamed, carrying in a large bag of gifts, my jaw dropping.
" you didn't have to get me this much, guys " I said in disbelief, until Ethan cut me off.
" well, we did... so shut up and open them " He was quick to say, making me laugh.
I picked a random one out of the bag, reading that it was from my mom. I smiled at her, noticing how anxious she looked. I recklessly tore off the wrapping paper, gasping as I looked at a gorgeous but expensive looking black handbag, one which I wouldn't have chosen out myself, but I loved. One thing I've always appreciated about my mom is how she manages to get me unique things that I wouldn't even think about looking at, but end up loving.
" thank you so much, I love it " I thanked her, giving her a large hug while she breathed a sigh of relief.
" I'm glad you like it... I was so scared you wouldn't " she said, as I shook my head.
" I do, thank you " I told her again, pulling another one out of the pile.
It was an envelope, which I was about to open, until it was pulled from my hands.
" nope! Save that one for last " Grayson laughed, putting it in his lap next to me.
I chuckled at him, mainly excited for the small envelope which could possibly contain the best gift. I obeyed, continuing the present opening.

After a while of opening gifts, I reached Ethan and Kaylee's, it being a large set of my favourite Victoria secret scents.
I thanked them again, about to take the mysterious envelope out of Grayson's hands for the second time, until Kaylee placed something in my hands. It was an unwrapped scrapbook, that was heavy and extremely tumblr looking. I stared at it in confusion, looking up at my cousin.
" this is just from me. I wanted to add it in there " Kay smiled, and I nodded, turning to the first page.
I felt a huge wave of different emotions rush through me as I read what was on the paper, making me laugh loudly. I turned the book, showing Grayson and pointing at what I wanted him to read.
" you wanted to marry Troy Bolton? " Grayson asked in disbelief after reading my childhood bucket list.
I laughed, nodding my head and acknowledging his fake hurt expression. I placed my hand on his face, rubbing his cheek slightly with my thumb and giggling.
" don't worry, you're basically Troy 2.0 with your chocolate strawberry and treehouse tactics " I joked, making him snort as we remembered the funny memory.
I turned to the next page of the notebook, so many old photos of Kaylee and I as kids, and even random drawings we'd completed together. I hadn't seen these in so long, and they brought back such amazing memories that I'll always remember. I felt myself tear up at the sight, while I pulled her into my arms, managing to hold myself together.
" thank you, Kay " I said genuinely, and she nodded as if it were nothing.
I could tell that she was happy that I loved it, which I really did. I love everything about sentimental and personal gifts, they're just so special.

After what felt like ages of waiting, I was finally allowed to open Grayson's present, the envelope. I felt a bundle of nerves form in my stomach, but also excitement as I was handed the small packet. I looked at my boyfriend who was sat beside me, a sort of anxious but eager look on his gorgeous face. His large hand found it's way to my knee, rubbing gently as I carefully tore the bit of paper, a thick silence in the room as it revealed another sheet.
I slowly pulled it out, my anxiety building until I unfolded it, reading the top sentence slowly, and going over it a few times to make sure it was real.

New York.

_______________________________

A/N- welcome to troublemaker, the sequel to trouble!! I'm so so excited to be writing this, and I hope you're just as excited to be reading it! I love you all, I'll be trying to update almost daily 😊

Instagram: droopdolan
Twitter: droopdolan

Feel free to DM me anytime!