forty-four

Ayla

June 9th

"Jai, please relax."

"Relax?! I c-can't relax. I've kept this secret from you and all I can think about is what a fucking fool I am. I'm an idiot! I could be.... It could have happened.... And I never told you," he exasperated out, looking as if he might pass out.

The admission that he had gotten Dana pregnant came out randomly after I got home from work. It was a quick fire moment, one I surely wasn't expecting. A spillage of details that I frankly, didn't care to hear about. But I wasn't going to roll my eyes and tell him everything was fine.

I had to find another way to calm him down. Use my words carefully.

"Jai. Honey. Listen to me," I softly spoke, grabbing his fuzzy cheeks in my hands. "I had 2 pregnancy scares when I was in high school. High school! How awful is that?"

"Ayla, this is not the same-"

"Why isn't it? Dana tells you she is pregnant and then she tells you that she wants to get rid of it," I began, walking away from him. "And then she magically disappears for a few weeks, nowhere to be found and then you find out that she wasn't pregnant at all! That she just wanted to stir shit up!"

"Yes, exactly, how is that anything like what you said."

"Okay, it's not entirely the same. But the point I'm trying to make is that there was this holy shit moment that turned out not to be true."

The fact that I was so calm actually did shock me. But after learning, not only from Jai, but from his friends about the kind of person that Dana is or... was, didn't surprise me at all. None of this story made my heart skip a beat.

Now, if I would have found out that he got her pregnant and that she ran off and had his baby and never told him... That's something I don't want to think about. Dammit Ayla, why do you do this to your brain.

"The only reason that I knew that she wasn't fucking with me was purely the eavesdropping that Jarrod did. Hell, I never even told my best mates that that witch told me she was pregnant," a bow sweaty Jai stroked his fingers through his hair.

It hurt my heart to see him look this way, but it's understandable.

"Fuck. I never meant to think of her again, ya know," a sarcastic laugh crept from his lips. "But I had a fucking dream last night and this memory flooded back. It never weighed on me. I forgot about it. She lied. Lied about it. She always lied. And the fact that she had lied about a baby, with me, made me sick. I... I don't know why I never told you. I just-"

"Baby, there will always be something that neither of us will tell or have told about the other's ex. That's just... Normal, there's nothing wrong with that-"

"Oh, Ayla, if there is something that piece of shit did to you and you haven't told me-"

"You're missing the point! I'm saying don't worry about it! It doesn't matter! The past is forever the past and that's all that matters. Do you hear me?" I firmly laid the words out for him.

A finally quite Jai looked up at me. I thought I could see a bit of calmness and relief wash over him, but who knows. I was just happy to see him smile at me.

"You're right. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I brought it up," he all but purred, walking up and grabbing me in his arms.

His giant frame engulfed me and held me close.

He's leaving tomorrow to head back to Canada and he's wasting time worrying about something that doesn't matter.

"Do you want to go out tonight for dinner or stay in? It's your call love," he said, lifting my hand and placing the sweetest of kisses on it.