thirty-five

Jai

August 16th:

"You look stunning," I turned and said to Ayla once we came to a stop after the precession.

"So do you-"

Her tearful words are cut off by my lips. I can't help but return my hands the warm of her nape, caressing her skin; Holding you like she'll slip away.

"You can keep kissing me like this all night," she said as she pulled away and looked up into my eyes.

"I plan on it Mrs. Courtney."

"Mmm," she closes her eyes while my thumb strokes her jaw before I kiss her again.

"You're going to have to wait a few more hours for that," Amanda tearfully jokes as she reaches us.

The second everyone got to us, we were swarmed in a pile of hugs. It was one of the best group hugs I'd ever been part of.

"It's a good thing we're wearing the most waterproof make-up ever, huh?" Ayla snipped.

"You have no idea," my sister agreed.

*

How is it that the last few hours went by in the blink of an eye. My beautiful new wife and I drank and ate and danced. We were undoubtedly lost in each other the entire evening. Every thing I did, every move I made was for her. She was my focus and I knew that I was hers. When I held her in my arms for our first dance, the world disappeared. Everything but her. Even the music stopped for me. I looked at her and saw her in five years. In ten years. In fifty years. And she was beautiful every time. I thought about her spinning around the kitchen, dragging me into the new home-goods store, cuddling against me while it snows. I even thought about the first time I laid eyes on her. That aqua-colored, strapless dress That made her eyes burst with shine. The smile that she wore when we both greeted each other at the same time. In this moment, holding her in my arms I felt like every moment I've ever had or ever will have with her flashed before me. It was beautiful. She was beautiful. I had to kiss her in the middle of our dance just to make sure she was still real. I pressed my head against hers when I was done and just whispered 'I love you so much' before a tear snuck down her cheek.

We made it around to every single person that decided to join us for this monumental of days. I got the chance to stand back and watch as members of my family devoured Ayla, easily accepting her as one of their own. I think I felt that same love from her family. Every single guest made us both feel like a king and a queen. I know, at least for me, it far outblew my expectations.

I mean, I expected alcohol and mingling and the overall typical wedding atmosphere. But there was something different. There is something different when it's your own. Ayla almost never left my sight or my touch. I could have ignored every little thing that was going on around me and gotten lost in thought just looking at her. I caught myself staring, as well as she did, multiple times. It was out of pure admiration for the woman I married. Something about her; Something deep in her veins makes her the perfect woman for me. I hope I never find out what that thing is. Sure I can profess my love until my eyes fall out, but there's just something... More. Yeah, I get it. I sound like some romance writer. Like someone that doesn't exist except for in the fantasy world. I get it, I've seen movies, read books. I never believed it either.

Until her. She walked into my life, broken in her own opinion, and just completely consumed me. She has forever changed me. And if, for some reason, one day this all ends between us - I will never recover. I will never be the same. She has left a mark on my soul that could never be touched by another.