thirty-seven

Jai

September 16th:

If it was possible for my heart to leap out of my chest at this moment, it would.

"How is it that you are more beautiful than you were when I watched you being born?" Ayla commented to the precious baby that was nestled in her arms.

She softly brushed her finger along his cheek. I felt a pit grow in my stomach out of nowhere. That same pit that forms when you fall in love.

"Do you mind if I use your bathroom?" Emma quietly asked as she stood up next to me.

"Of course, it's right around the corner over there," I motioned my hand and backed up so she could go by me.

"Thank you," she replied. "Looks good doesn't it?"

She whispered those last words close to me as she started to walk by, quiet enough that Ayla didn't hear. She was too distracted anyway. I know my face gave my answer the second she asked me that question. It does look good. It looks perfect. She gave me a smile before she continued walking by. When she made her way around the corner to the bathroom Ayla got up and walked towards me.

"I thought you were having dinner with Clare," she asked, finally looking up at me.

I stared down at the baby against her chest for another second before responding.

"Babe?"

"Yeah, sorry. I am. She had to delay it a little bit because she worked a later than she thought. Pushed it back until 7," I said.

"What time is it now?"

"6:00, exactly," I looked at my watch.

"I'm due to meet Amanda and Kate at 6:45. They want honeymoon details, just the 3 of us," she winked up at me.

I grinned back at her before looking down at Jonathan.

"He is beautiful," I said, wanting so badly to hold him.

"I know," Ayla sweetly sighed. "His birth was just as beautiful too."

She was looking into his sweet face with such a smile and softness that sent my feelings over the edge. My mouth couldn't help but open, about to spew out a bunch of words I can't take back, but Emma came back and spoke before I could.

"Would you like to hold him too Jai?"

Yes, badly.

"No, no. I... Have to get ready to leave soon. I'll let you two go back to your interview," I hastily responded.

Ayla looked up at me with a confused and almost sad look.

"Actually our interview is done. I got some great information. Ayla, thank you again. I can't wait to write this."

"Oh anytime Emma! I had a great time," she turned around. "Are you busy? I'm going out to dinner with some girlfriends, would you like to come?"

"Oh, thank you so much for the invite, but my husband is making my favorite couscous tonight. It's to die for," she said.

"Ah, you have a guy who can cook too? I have one of those," Ayla turned back and smiled at me.

"It's amazing isn't it?"

Ayla handed the baby back to his mother then helped her gather her things.

"Oh, girl you don't have to do that," Emma commented.

"No, please, I insisted. I'll follow you out."

Ayla grabbed her bags and followed her guest to the door.