fourteen

Ayla

*Flashback*

April 23, 2005:

"Are you sure you don't want to ride home with us Ay?" Kate asked, as she got ready to get in Dylan's car.

"No, it's fine. I'm gonna call Dan," I told her, pulling out my phone.

"Okay, well I love you, call me tomorrow if you want to talk. Jake is an asshole," she blew me a kiss and I waved, heading down the sidewalk.

"Hey, what's up?" Dan answered.

"Are you home?" I asked him.

"Yeah, why? Everything okay?"

"Can you come pick me up at the Food Lion on Mount Airy Road? Jake left with another girl," I took my heels off and pounded the pavement towards the glowing grocery store in the distance.

"What?!" He yelled into the phone. "That fucking shitbag. I'll be there in about 15 or 20."

"Okay," I hung up.

I called my mom and let her know about Jake and that Dan was coming to get me. She tried to tell me that she'd come, but I told her that I'd rather my brother do it. Because I wanted a cigarette.
I sat at on a bench outside the grocery store, shoving my phone back into my purse. The little one that matched my dress. A dress that I spent weeks searching for. It was floor-length, light blue with spaghetti straps with a sheer tulle piece covering the skirt. There was glitter mush all over it, and a diamond like belt that wrapped around the waist. Jake had given me a blue and white corsage that matched, and as I saw Dan's car finally pull up I ripped it off my arm and threw it to the ground.

I quickly climbed into his car, feeling a shiver because I was stupid and didn't bring a shrug with me. Before I even clasped my seat belt, I grabbed the cigarettes from his dash and lit one.

"So what the fuck happened?" Dan asked.

"He saw some girl, and she was really pretty - not from our school - and he was ALL over her. All night. I was basically the 3rd wheel to Kate and Dylan the whole time. Amanda was too busy getting high by the dumpsters with a bunch of guys. I just wanted to leave," I complained.

I puffed as hard and fast as I could.

"He was a piece of shit anyway. Forget about him."

"Daniel, he ruined my night!" I yelled.

As I continued to smoke as fast as I could, I started to feel tears stinging my eyes. I really liked Jake. Not only was he hot, he asked ME to prom. I was super excited about it, and couldn't wait. It was really the only reason I actually got pumped to go to prom. Otherwise I would have planned on smoking by the dumpsters with Amanda. But no, he asked me. And I was happy. We even went out on like seven dates. We went to the movies, made out a lot, and I really wanted to have sex with him. But I didn't get a chance to. Thank God. Because I apparently wasn't good enough anyway.

"Was I not pretty enough tonight? I tried to make sure that my makeup was perfect and I really wanted there to be more with him. Maybe we could have been together for a while," I sobbed. "And he left with another girl, without even feeling bad about it. He didn't even come back to the table. He just shrugged at me while he danced with her!"

I was crying hard and trying not to be loud about it, but was failing.

"Ayla, he's trash. Wait, did you have sex with him?!" He angrily asked.