three

Jai

*Flashback*

July 5th:

Tomorrow is the Campbells' annual Independence Day party. Daniel and Megan flew in on Wednesday, and Ayla couldn't be happier. The past two nights she's been glued to her brother's every word, and he's been the same. It's obvious they miss each other. I can't imagine not being able to see Clare as often as I do. Not living in the same side of the country. Even with work, when I'm home, so is she.

Ayla's not sore about it though, she takes advantage of every second to spend it with her brother, when she can. Today, however, she is working until ten, and Bruce invited Daniel and I to go out to the batting cages and have some fun. And shit, how could I say no.

*

"You could have totally hit that," I teased Dan after he made no attempt to hit the ball that flew towards him.

We had been at it for about an hour, having a really fun time. Especially picking on each other.

"Bullshit!" He hollered.

"Naw, I'm with Jai here bud. No reason to have missed it," Bruce chimed.

Crack! That time, he hit. It was a nice hit, too.

"Ooh, nice one," I said.

"Yeah, fuckin' shit talkers," he nodded towards Bruce and I.

"Yeah, but what's that... 10 hits out of 25 or so?" Bruce continued to tease.

"Dad, you didn't do any better," Dan laughed loudly.

"Oh hell, I know. This guy is the one to beat," he said, patting me on the back.

"What can I say? I'm a prodigy," I joked, busting them in howls of laughter.

"Alright fellas, what do ya say we go get us some beer and greasy bar food?" Bruce asked us.

"Sounds great," we agreed.

*

"Dude, stop talking about it, I want Chicago-style pizza so bad right now," Dan groaned.

"The food was incredible, but other than that, nothing too exciting," I said.

"I'd agree with that," Bruce added, taking a big drink, finishing his beer. "Tanya likes it there, but it's not my favorite."

"I mean it was nice, and there was a fair amount to do... I don't know, I guess there just wasn't that much time to get out and do stuff. So I didn't really see all of it," I summed up.

"Another round gentlemen?" The young waitress asked as she approached our table.

"Yes, darling, thank you," Bruce chimed.

"You an Ayla need to come to LA soon. Not work related. Come have fun. We have a great time," Dan said to me as he leaned his elbows on the table.

"Yeah, I would love to. Maybe sometime before September."

"Hell yeah, it could be for a long weekend, nothing too much," he added.

"Absolutely! I'll definitely tell her that."

"Why before September? You have work then?" Bruce asked me.

"No, Ayla actually. I don't have anything until October. With Sacred Heart opening, I'm sure she won't want to do anything for a while once that happens. I don't blame her, she'll be busy I'm sure," I informed him.

"Yeah, good point. Hey, so you guys are going on vacation in a few weeks," Bruce excitedly starts. "Where are you going?"

I nervously swallow.