twenty

Ayla

March 15th:

"I'm really sorry to bother you like this. I shouldn't have come, really," I said, walking to one of exam tables in our quiet office.

I glanced at the clock and see that it was 9:45 in the morning. On a Saturday. Why am I here.

"Ayla, seriously, it's not a problem. You know you're the first person I would call. This is nothing!" Valerie smiled.

Her hair was in a tossled, loose bun but she looked like she was walking on sunshine by the sweet mood she was in.

"Yeah, but. It's Saturday and this... I don't know, I think I jumped to an extreme," I chuckled with a grin. "And Jai wouldn't let it go."

"Ayla. You're bleeding. And sometimes it's normal, sometimes it's not. I would be angry if you didn't call. Besides I live right around the corner."

I sighed and rubbed my hands over my eyes. I had taken a quick shower before I left my house, not washing my hair, then threw on some jeans and a long sleeve shirt. I basically had to beg Jai not to come with me.

Valerie sat at almost eye level on a stool in front of me and gave me reassuring look.

"Alright, so I'm going to ask you a bunch of questions, you know. The routine. We wanna make sure you're okay."

"Of course," I answered with an unsure smile.

"Did you just start bleeding this morning?"

"Yes."

"Are you in any pain? Lower abdominal discomfort?"

"No. None at all."

"Any chance of an STI?"

"No."

"And you noticed this after sex?" She asked.

"Yes. Right after. But it wasn't overly rough or anything. No pain during. No pain after," I insisted.

"Are your periods regular?"

"Yes. Usually 3 days long, every 26 to 28 days. For the most part."

"When was your last period?"

"Ended 2 days ago," I answered, my eyes staring at the wall behind Val's head.

"Normal cycle? Anything different?"

I furrowed my brow lightly and closed my eyes tightly before opening them sharply again, feeling like a fool.

"Yeah, actually," I chuckled uncomfortably. "It was different. It was 6 days. Bright red blood. Heavier than normal. But no cramps like I usually have."

"Hm," she looked intently at me. "Are you on birth control?"

"Yes, I have an implanon."

"Have you ever had irregular bleeding with that before?"

"Right after I have it placed, my first period is different. But it goes back to normal after that. This is my third one, so I'm used to it," I told her.

"When are you due to have it replaced?"

I opened my mouth, my brows curled and I looked up to the ceiling. No words came out though. I felt a quick panic because I couldn't remember.

"Um, let me," I hopped off the bed and grabbed the cell out of my purse.

Swiping the five texts from Jai, I unlocked the screen and opened my calendar. My eyes scrolled through March and I didn't see anything marked. I looked into April and still nothing. I was dreading the next move, but I had to. I thumbed back to February and on the 21st, in red, was a big note.