prologue

A new, busy year.

Press, premieres, film scheduling; Jai was pleased with his projected busy year. Every free moment was spent with Ayla, well, when she had a moment to spare.

In between her training and work, she was at the birth center, overseeing and contributing to the construction of her business. She was consumed by this new world that she would be experiencing in the second half of the year.

* * *

March 20th:

"Holy shit. Ayla, this looks incredible," Amanda said in awe, as she looked around at all the production that has taken place.

The upstairs was home to six large birthing rooms, all equipped with a comfortable bed, birthing chairs, whirlpools and the utmost privacy. Downstairs were eight bright exam rooms, donned with the latest pieces of technological computer equipment, and soon to be furnished with the newest gynecological tables. Each room, both birthing and examination, were painted different colors. Soft and soothing for bringing a baby into the world, and subtle and inviting for the everyday visit.

"I know! I am so happy with the layout of this place. It looks gorgeous," Ayla grinned, tracing her hands along the clean walls as she looked around. "Five months away, then show time!"

There was scattered artwork that was waiting to hang on the walls throughout the building, that Ayla and Amanda were excited to find. They searched online for hours one day picking the perfect pieces.

Down the hallways were the designated offices for each of the six practitioners, and Amanda with plenty of space for all. Ayla's office stood a little larger than the others, and sat in the center of a curved layout, being surrounded by the others. There were alcoves with desks, that spanned large enough to house several nursing staff, medical assistants, front desk personnel, the whole shebang.

Today, all of the other midwives were made official hires. Along with Ayla and Dr. Valerie Martinez, there were four more midwives. Laura Stanford, Michelle Cross, Sarah Stevens and Samantha Perry. Samantha, or Sam, is the midwife that will be testing in June, right before Ayla, and she couldn't be more excited. In fact, they all are. They are a young, passionate group that All look forward to the many years ahead. Since today marked the official hire of the midwives, they got to come in and pick their offices now, ahead of time, and submit their information for the metal signs that will be posted on the doors.

In the next few weeks, and months for that matter, they'll be decorating, getting business cards, connect with marketing and any other loose ends. It's starting to become official.

* * *

Jai spent his spare time reading over scripts and staying tight with his agent, who was helping him stay very busy. Three pieces to film this year, the first starting in June. But thankfully, his time on set wouldn't last over a month for each role. He as already aware of some things happening next year, and knew that was going to be where time was limited. Things were looking great for Jai's career, and between his own pride, and Ayla's support, he was ecstatic.

* * *

May 9th:

"I love you," Jai said, quickly checking his bags and kissing Ayla at the same time. "And I hope your last three weeks as a midwife student are bittersweet!"

His words made Ayla blush but smile large as she thought about the short time she was away from being a practitioner. Well, pending her passing boards.

"Oh, they will be. I can't believe it's almost done!"' She chirped, as they walked through the airport together.

As they approached the terminal, there wasn't as much sadness, as there was excitement coming from both of them. They both had a busy few weeks ahead of them, that they were equally looking forward to.

"Come here," Jai said, as he stopped in his tracks, grabbing Ayla's hand, twirling her so that her body pressed flush against him.

Without a care in the world of who could possibly be staring at them, Jai planted a long, slightly sensual kiss on Ayla's wet lips.

"Mmm, you can keep doing that, instead of catching this flight," she joked.

"Don't temp me," Jai smiled before kissing her again, this time his hand tangling through her hair.

The overhead speaker boomed that his flight to Chicago was boarding.

"Okay, baby. Be careful. This flight is super fast, so call me as soon as you land," Ayla chimed, placing her hands on his chest.

"Promise, love," he smiled, before one last kiss and I love you.

* * *

June 21st:

"I cannot believe today is it! Your official last day as a student," Karen excitedly clapped as she saw Ayla collecting papers.

"I know! And I have to get out of here, so that I can run down to Georgetown and submit my final paper. They told me if I had them in before 4 today, that I could have my diploma by July 12th," Ayla smiled.

"Wait, so you're really not going to walk across the stage for this?" Karen inquired.

"Nah, I don't need all that. I've already done it for nursing, and besides the most rewarding part of all of this is when I take the board exams, and get that title. That feeling of accomplishment. That's what I can't wait for. That day," Ayla answered.

"Ooh, I can't wait!" Karen's giddiness unable to be hidden.

Ayla hurridly grabbed her things, and headed for the lunchroom door.

"Alright Karen, have a great rest of the night," Ayla beamed and blew her a kiss.

* * *
July 6th:

"Two weeks from today I take my boards," Ayla said, slamming back on the sofa, letting out an exhausted sigh.

"Could of fooled me," Jai joked.

"Screw you. Not helping," Ayla snapped.

"Baby, I'm kidding, relax," Jai said, as he walked in front of her, offering his hands to help her up. "You've been studying for months, and you know the answer to every question in these study guides."

Ayla takes his offer to stand, and glances down at the coffee table covered with books and tests.

"Yeah, I hope so," she sighed.

"You're gonna do great. Now how about you take a break from this, and let me take you out to dinner," Jai almost begged with sweet, puppy-dog eyes.

"Sounds great," Ayla responded.

"Awesome, let's go!" Jai demanded.

"What? Now?"

"Yes, before you change your mind, and open another book. Now," Jai grabbed her purse, and her hand, and pulled her toward the door.

* * *

Jai and Ayla's relationship continues to grow and prosper into the most romantic and passionate it can possibly be. They are inseparable. Their friends joke about it, their parents adore their cuteness, and they couldn't be happier. The only thing left is for their love to keep going, getting stronger.

They are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to their work and their personal lives. And there is still so much more to come.