twenty-nine

Jai

July 20th:

"Oh that's great Madison! Go ahead and head in. I'll meet you there," Ayla said before ending her call.

I finished taping another box up and watched her grab her purse off the table.

"Gotta go. I hopefully won't be too long," she reached up and kissed me before she ran to the door.

She was up late last night with a birth, after waking up early for one in the morning, so I made her sleep in as much as she could. She didn't really want to because she was on this moving-high but at least she got about five hours.

We got more boxes packed than I think either of us thought we'd get done. It's clear that we are stoked to get into this place. My plan for today is to continue packing and taking more loads over to the house. Since Ayla had to leave, I would really like to surprise her with getting the majority of it done so we aren't stressing all week. Especially since I'll be waiting for furniture deliveries on Tuesday and possibly Wednesday.

And luckily for her, Ayla met a new nurse yesterday that was looking for a place to rent with her boyfriend. Perfect timing. So now there is no worry about what will happen to this place. They'll be moving in as soon as we get out. Which will hopefully be by the end of this week, if not sooner.

It's 10:00 in the morning and consistent with this whole week so far, it's hot as shit outside. I carry three boxes out and set them next to my car when I notice the neighbor across the street tinkering with an old car in his driveway. One that looks familiar to me. Like one my dad had when I was a teenager. I turn and head back inside to grab three more boxes.

When I come back out and repeat my task, I can hear Jacob cussing to himself as he tries to start it. No luck. Its evident that he's frustrated and I know I could give him a hand. I light up a cigarette and watch him go back under the hood.

I think to myself that I can do one of two things right now. I could go over there and help him out, or I could go and pick a fight with him. My teeth squeeze the end of my smoke and I contemplate the thought of walking up and punching him right in the nose. But I'm better than that. I'm smarter than that. I know that'd be ridiculous since, I hate to admit it, this guy hasn't really done anything wrong. I mean, he has a thing for my girl, not a crime. He hasn't acted on any feelings, that matters. I don't know, maybe I'm just in a really good mood today.

I flicked my cigarette into the road and made my way across to his driveway. I see him fiddling with the alternator which was exactly where my mind went when I heard him trying to start it.

"Hey mate, I heard you trying to start it, thought maybe I could help," I said to Jacob, my hands on my hips.

He looked up from the hood and wiped his forehead before standing.

"Yeah, sure. I will take any help I can get with this fuckin' thing."

I walked over and took a look at the pristine block in the car. Someone took really good care of it. Looks better than my dad's when he first started restoring his '67 Sting Ray.

"This is a '65 right?" I asked.

"Yeah, it is. Good eye."

"My dad has a '67. His baby," I stretched, peering at the wiring and hook-ups behind the engine block. "I used to help him with it when I was younger."

"No kidding, this was my dad's actually. He passed last year and I drove it here a few weeks ago, but now," he waved his hands. "It's a pain in the ass."