29°

It was dark, only dimly lit by candles. Carl's eyes tried to adjust to the difference in lighting, the people in black cloaks and masks blurry. They stood in a circle, a pentagram drawn in chalk on the cement floor.

The people monotonously hummed deeply, the music fading into static. Pia and Mariana put on black cloaks, covering their faces and bowing their heads down.

"Mariana Mendoza, have you brought your sacrifice." A booming voice echoed. A tall shrouding figure in a red cloak came up to the front, looking down to Mariana.

"Yes master." Mariana curtsied. The cloaked figure clapped, and two others grabbed Carl by the arms.

"What the hell?!" He tried to escape their grip, but he was no match for whoever the hell was under those pieces of silk.

They dragged him toward a large dark room. They faced him toward a ledge, down below unknown due to it being so dark. 'It's a pit, a fucking bottomless pit' Carl thought, pissed that rich people were weird.

Fall, fall, fall, the group chanted. Mariana went up to the front. She looked Carl in the eyes, taking her cloak hood off. 'I'm sorry Carl,' she mouth as she pushed him off the ledge.

Carl shouted as he fell, he knew he was going to die. He braced himself for the inevitable ground at the bottom. Soon he heard a splash and he was emerged in water. Bright fluorescent lights turned on.

Everyone in cloaks were down at the bottom, smiling at him and laughing. He swam to the edge, seeing Mariana walk to the front. She grinned, kneeling down to the pool.

"You did it Carl."

"Did what?"

"You're in the group. You're part of Hollywood's young elite."

"Young elite huh?"

The guy in the red cloak revealed himself. "Stop with the sappy romance shit and jump in!" He undressed himself all but his underwear, tattoos on his arms. He cascaded into the enormous pool as everyone else began taking off their robes to reveal swimwear.

Mariana pulled off her robe and clothes, emerging herself into the cool water. Carl lifted himself to the ledge, wringing out his navy blue shirt.

"You're getting out already? I just got in." Mariana groaned.

"Nah, I'm just taking off my clothes." He pulled off his shirt and shorts while he kicked off his soaked vans and socks. Carl plummeted himself back into the water, grabbing Mariana by just below her waist.

The guy from earlier swam over, taking long strides and making sure not to bump into any of the other party goers.

He stood in front of Carl, who had to look up at him. His hair was a flaming red, and his eyebrow was pierced. "You must be Mariana's life long partner."

"Life long partner?"

"You know, you're the guy that Mariana knew for like years right?"

"Oh, yeah. That would be me."

"You're a lucky one, she's a great girl." The two boys looked in Mariana's direction. She was speaking to Pia, a smile on her face.

"Carl!" Mariana shouted. "I need a partner for chicken fights."

"Well, duty calls."

"See you later man."

Carl swam to where Mariana was and gazed up to Pia, who was on the shoulders of a guy with mid-length hair.

"Bend down so I can get on your shoulders." Mariana jumped up, trying to push Carl down to her height. Carl grabbed her legs and hoisted her on top of his broad shoulders.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen, today we have a rough match. Champion Mariana Mendoza and her rookie partner Carl Gallagher vs. the infamous Pia Mia and Joe Keery duo. Ready, set, go!"