19°

Okay this book has legit gone to shit sorry

***

"Off to the mall we go!" Danny started the ignition. Danny was overly enthusiastic about a plenty of things. Being with his little sister was one of them. It wasn't often getting to hang out with Mariana alone, because every other one of the brothers want to be with her too, that's just how fun she was.

"Danny, what do I do?" Mariana murmured.

"About what?"

"Carl."

"Clarify."

"I just—I feel like he's mad at me. I regret acting the way I did with Luke. It was dumb of me to act that way when Carl and I had a thing."

"Well, first you need to get out of the house. And then you need to talk to Carl, tell him what you're telling me. And finally you talk to Luke, and set some boundaries. Of course you two can remain friends, but if you and Carl have a thing, there should be a line you should never cross." Mariana nodded, understanding the advice her older brother was giving her.

That's what she liked about Danny. He'd always be able to help you out, even with the most difficult of problems. Danny turned into the mall parking lot, looking for a place to park the white Range Rover, which their father had stolen from someone he killed.

"So, I was thinking we get a pleated skirt, and maybe a cropped sweater?"

"Wow Danny, when did you become Tumblr?" Mariana chuckled, playfully punching Danny.

"Um, I know what styles are going to be in. May I remind you that I'm a model for fashion magazines? Pleated skirts and cropped sweaters in pastel colors are totally in."

"Whatever you say, Danny-o."

"Whatever you say kid sister."

"Ew, that's gross, don't call me that."

"What?? I'm like Sodapop, and you're Ponyboy." Danny was referencing to Mariana's favorite movie of all time: The Outsiders. Ever since she stole her seventh grade teacher's copy, she'd been obsessed. Read the book, watched the movie. Cried over the deaths and obsessed over the boys.

"Meh, he's my second favorite. You know Dally is the cutest," she shrugged with an indifferent look on her face.

"Always going for the bad boys, huh?"

"You know me so well," she rolled her eyes in a youthful motion.

The two walked to the register, Danny holding a blue pleated skirt and a pastel pink sweater. He wouldn't let Mariana get anything else unless she bought the outfit. Mariana's phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hey Mari." Carl's  voice came from the other line.

"Oh, hey Carl."

"What are you up to?"

"I'm just at the mall."

"Alone?" Carl tensed up, hoping she'd say yes.

"No, I'm with Danny."

"Cool, cool."

"Why?"

"I was wondering if you'd want to go somewhere with me tonight?"

"What do I gotta wear?"

"Something casual—and a swimsuit. Preferably a two piece."

"You're such a pig Gallagher."

"You love me Mendoza."

"That I do."

"Tonight, at six. And bring pajamas and something for tomorrow, we're doing an all nighter."

"You and your shenanigans Gallagher."

"You and your old people words Mendoza."

"Okay, I'm offended. I'm hanging up," she giggled, walking with Danny out of the store.

"Not if I do first!" And with that he hung up. Mariana sighed in defeat.

She loved Carl's immature ways, it's one of the many reasons she fell for him. Although at times he can be a bit too immature. Like the time Mariana stole his sour patch kids and he wouldn't speak to her until she bought him another bag. Or the time he held her down and tickled her until she said 'Carl Gallagher is a sexy beast and no one else would ever be my best friend.' Although, now that Mariana thought about it, it was quite romantic.

"So I'm taking that went well?" Danny broke the silence, his perfect eyebrows furrowed.

Mariana smiled, "yeah, it went pretty good. I just got to stop somewhere right now, could you drop me off?"