16°

okay but this book is turning to shit lol
***

Mariana tapped on the steering wheel. The line for McDonald's was always long at 10:00 AM. It wasn't anything new to her or Debbie.

"So." Debbie said, looking at chipped manicure. "You and Carl?"

"Me and Carl what?"

"Together?"

"No, it's not really like that. You know we're just best friends." She gave Debbie a sideways look, everything the two did was the same from before. Nothing was different or out of the ordinary.

"That's funny." Debbie belowed, looking down at her lap. Debbie knew Mariana like Carl and Carl liked Mariana.

"Oh my god Debs, it's not like we're secretly dating." This, Mariana thought, was true. The two were in fact not dating. Although the two were immensely infatuated with the other.

"Have you two fucked?" Debbie was disgusted with the fact her best friend could have had sex with her obnoxious brother, but no doubt the two had a hung for each other.

"Kinda personal, isn't that?" Mariana purses her lips, trying to accentuate that she didn't want to talk about this.

"So you did?"

"Maybe." Mariana had the slightest smile on her lips.

"Then tell me about it bitch!" Debbie smacked her, startling Mariana. A huge smile was on her face, the Carliana ship was finally sailing.

"Jesus christ Debbie, don't do that." Mariana was huffing for air.

"Then spill." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

"Well, it was in the back of a car. We were both high and drunk."

"Very romantic." Debbie sarcastically nodded, waiting for Mariana to continue to spill about her scandalous affair.

"He was really cautious, I guess. He told me if I didn't want to do it then he didn't either. But I wanted to, so we did. A lot of hand holding. I was sore, because well, you know."

"Anything good?"

"Well, it might not be the dirtiest thing, but he told me he loved me, and I liked that. But I don't really know if he meant it or not, because we were both out of our minds."

"You do know that Carl really does love you, right?"

"Yeah as a best friend, but we just fucked. Nothing special." Mariana always denied the fact that Carl truly loved her, she just couldn't comprehend it. Too many things could go wrong if she made a move.

"Mariana, you do know Carl never had sex before right?" Debbie clarified, a serious look on her face.

"What?" Mariana would've been sure he at least had sex with a couple of girls. She didn't expect to be Carl's first time.

"He's a virgin. Well—before you fucked his brains out." Debbie smirked at her best friend.

"Ew Debs, don't be gross." Mariana drove the car up to the intercom to order.

"You know it's true." She shrugged.

"Hello welcome to McDonald's what can I get you?"

"You may want to sit down for this, it's gonna be a long one." Mariana smirked at Debbie. "Can I get five large fries, ten twenty piece chicken nuggets, a large dr. Pepper, a large sprite, a large sweet tea, a large coke, a large hi-c, two Big Macs, and ten hash browns." Mariana had to catch her breath, this was only one of many orders she'd have to recite.

"Um, that'll be $95.82. Will that be all?"

"Yes sir." Mariana felt accomplished for this. She never knew why, but she always felt satisfaction with doing food runs. Maybe because the only reason she did it was to make Debbie and her siblings eat.

The first time she ever did a food run, she did it because Liam had nothing to eat, and it was to the point where he was starting to look sick. She came to their house with bags and bags of fast food, and ever since then it'd be one of Mariana's secret things she did for the Gallagher's.

"Let's head to Taco Bell next, those Mexican pizza's are screaming my name." Debbie patted her stomach, laughing. Mariana was glad to be hanging out with Debbie again.

The black car sped off, blending in with the other cars of Chicago. The traditional Sunday ritual was taking place and everything seemed normal once more.

Mariana's phone rang. "Hello?"

"Hey Ri."

"Luke?"

Debbie looked at her confused. "Is that your celebrity ex boyfriend Luke?!" She whispered, possibly a little too loud.

"Yeah, this is her celebrity ex boyfriend Luke." The guy on the other line of the phone chuckled. "anyways, I'll be in Chicago tomorrow, on a plane right now. I wanted to take you out, if that's alright. Go get food, go hang out like old times."

"Uh, yeah, sure. What time?"

"My plane gets off at 11:00 tomorrow, so how about 1:30?"

"Sounds good to me Lucas."

"My names not Lucas you dumb fuck." He laughed, Mariana remembered the countless times in her dorm room where she'd call him that, and how mad he got about it.

"Alright alright, call you later Lukey, I'm driving." She hung up the phone and looked at Debbie.

"Lukey? Really?"

"Hey, we're friends." Mariana looked at the red head, reassuring her that nothing was going on with her and Luke.

"And that better be all because if it's more Carl will be crushed."

"Please, I'd choose Carl over Luke any day."

Mariana couldn't tell Debbie why she broke up with Luke. That they only broke up because his band manager told them to, even though Luke and Mariana were still secretly together. How Mariana never lost feelings for the now twenty year old.

Mariana knew Carl was right for her though. He'd stay with her. He wouldn't need to date another girl because of a contract. He wouldn't have to travel the world to tour, and possibly cheat on her with other girls.

Mariana focused on the road, trying to get rid of her thoughts. "I love Carl too much to do something like that to him."