23°

And I finally updated after like a million days of hiatus. So, as an apology I'm doing a Q&A, where you can ask any characters from the book—or me— a question :)

***

The car was silent, besides the panting of Carl and Mariana's new dog. It wasn't a bad kind of quiet, there just wasn't much to say.

"Fifi."

"Huh?"

"Fifi, that's what we should name her!" Mariana rapidly slapped her hand on the dashboard.

"Why Fifi?"

"I don't know, I just had an epiphany moment. It's like Fiona, but just Fi. But twice." She knotted her eyebrows together, trying to make her thoughts into comprehendible sentences.

"Dude, are you high?"

"No, although I wish. But if it weren't for Fiona, we possibly couldn't have met."

***

"Carl, why don't you make some friends." Fiona pushed Carl onto the playground, trying to stop him from squishing bugs from under a rock.

"No, I don't want to."

Fiona dragged him to a small girl who was steering the steering wheel on the play structure. She wore plaid shorts, which was very distasteful. Her hair was up in a too tight ponytail, her skin being pulled back a tad bit.

"Hi, I'm Fiona, and this is Carl."

"Hi, I'm Mariana." The girl stuck her hand out.

Carl hesitatingly shook her hand, a suspicious look on his face. He noticed Mariana had deep dimples, and a little beauty mark on the top of her forehead.

"You two go play." Fiona walked away, leaving the two looking each other.

"So, what do you like to do?" Mariana asked, walking up the steps of the playground structure. Carl followed along. He dragged his hand along the metal railing.

"I like to melt things. And microwave things."

"Cool. I like to make things. And sometimes put my fingers in the wax warmer and let the wax dry on them before I peel it off."

"What's a wax warmer?"

"It's a ceramic bowl that my mom plugs into the wall and adds scented wax into. When you plug it in it warms up and melts."

"That sounds dumb."

"It is, but it's fun to burn yourself." She shrugged, regretting saying something that could put someone off.

"That was odd to say."

"What can I say, I'm an odd person."

Carl stroked his chin. He had decided,"You know, you're pretty cool. Let's be friends."

"Sure."

"So, where do you live?"

"Wallace street."

"No way, me too."

"I live next to these loud people. And they never take there pool down, so it stinks really bad. They have a van in their backyard, which is weird, but I'm not gonna judge." Mariana ranted.

"No way, that sounds just like my house!" Carl pointed out, his mouth agape.

"Weird." Mariana shrugged, hopping down the steps of the playground.