20°

"Is this it?" Danny asked, pointing to the house Carl was at earlier.

Mariana nodded, "Yup. I'll ask Luke for a ride home."

"Alright, and if anything bad happens, you know my number." Danny patted her on he back before she got out.

She walked up to the door and knocked. Luke opened the door, tissue in his left nostril. He did not look good, at all.

"Hey Mariana, what are you doing here?"

"I want to talk."

"About what your little boyfriend did to me?" Luke had a hint of irritation in his voice. He pointed to the busted lip and his bloody nose. And no one could look over the bright red gash, which was turning light purple.

"What?"

"Carl. Came to my house. Told me if I didn't stop talking to you he's going to blow my brains out. It's not gonna stop me though."

"Luke, look. Me and Carl—well—we have a thing. I don't really know how to explain it, but we're together. And you and I, we can't act like how we used to. I don't want to mess up what Carl and I have." Mariana felt uncomfortable, like really uncomfortable. She wasn't really an assertive person, so she was way out of her comfort zone.

Luke nodded, "I see. We call still be friends, yeah?"

"Of course Luke."

"Good."

"By the way I'm gonna need a ride home."

***

Carl sat on his porch, waiting for six o'clock to come around. His plan was to take the van outback and do as much irresponsible shit as they could.

He remembered the times where they'd sneak into the van, stealing all the food they could. They'd bring Mariana's laptop to watch movies and huddle together for warmth.

The last time they did that was when they were ten. It was nostalgic to think of those memories. Carl knew nothing would be the same. They were too old to keep their feelings strictly platonic. Mariana came back gorgeous as ever, how could he keep things strictly platonic?

"Bye Luke." Carl heard, Turing towards where it was coming from. He saw Mariana getting out of Luke's car. Luke waved back to Mariana before driving off.

"What the hell?" He stood up, yelling at the unsuspecting girl.

"Huh?" Mariana looked at Carl, confused.

"Why were you with him?"

"I had to talk to him." She rubbed her arm, anxiety starting to strike.

"What do you mean talk? Fuck?!"

"Ew Carl no!"

"Then what was it? You actually just went to his house to talk, makes sense," he sarcastically said.

"Yes Carl! I went to talk to him so I could tell him you and I had a thing. But here you are, accusing me of having sex with Luke?" Mariana's eyes were glossy and red, her tears making her mascara run.

"Mariana..."

"No Carl, I told Luke you and I had a thing. I don't know what our 'thing' is, but I told him that we can't act how we used to. And how we need to set boundaries because I love you Carl. And do you think I'd put what we have in jeopardy?"

He ran up to her, engulfing her in a hug. Her tears stained his thin shirt. "I'm sorry Mari. I really am."

"Carl, I love you." Her words were muffled by Carl's shirt, but nevertheless he heard. He gripped her even harder, kissing the top of her head.

"I love you too baby girl."