21°

Shoutout to @plutonics bc their comments have me dying skskks

***

"You know, I feel real dumb right now," Carl said, fiddling with Mariana's fingers. The two were in the van, wearing minimal clothing.

"Why's that Gallagher?" Mariana looked up at him, only wearing her maroon bralette. Blankets were draped around the two. String lights lit up the van, thanks to Debbie.

"Cause, you just threw away the chance at a relationship with a rich asshole so you can be with me."

"I bet that rich asshole can't fuck me like you do Gallagher." Mariana rested her chin on Carl's shirtless chest.

"You're right."

"Of course I am."

"Do you ever want to have kids?" Carl blurted out. Now this was out of the blue. Mariana didn't expect Carl to ask about such a sensitive topic that you shouldn't worry about as a teenager. This was the kind of thing you talk about when you're done having fun and being reckless, which they knew they weren't.

"What?"

"Fuck, that was stupid of me to say."

"Yeah, I think I want kids." Surprisingly, Mariana answered.

"How many?" Carl decided to continue with this conversation, which turned out to not be as awkward.

"I don't know, five or six. I have too many cute names I want to name them."

"Like what?"

"I wanted to name my daughters after shades of purple. Violet, Lilac, Indigo. My mom said it was dumb, but I thought it was original."

"I think they're beautiful."

"When did you become such a softie?" She poked his bare shoulder.

"Ever since I fell for you."

"You're too sweet."

"Only for you."

"Let's go do something." Mariana darted up, causing the van to shake.

"Like what?"

"Complete a bucket list. I don't know."

"You have a bucket list?"

Mariana scoffed, "Who doesn't?"

"Um, me?"

"Well, let's to mine."

Mariana pulled on a shirt, quickly getting dressed. She pulled up her shorts over her underwear, jumping up. As she exited the van, she sloppily put on her socks, and then pulled on her converse.

Carl followed alongside, the two jumping over the metal fence separating their houses. They entered through the backdoor, immediately being brought into the kitchen. The duo darted straight to Mariana's room.

Mariana sorted through a drawer, papers and notebooks being shuffled. Carl sat silently on the bed, looking around. 'Her room never looked like this before.', he thought, surveying the freshly painted white walls. Things were completely different.

Her fuchsia walls were now white. Her one direction posters were now vinyls of some bands called the 1975 and five seconds of summer. Her colorful bed set was now just a black and white grid pattern. Her desk was neatly organized in office supplies you'd get at that typo store at the mall. Her quirky trinkets and random things were all gone. Mariana took out her gaming tv and replaced it with a vanity, her bean bags replaced with fur stools. The batman shaped book shelf was now replaced with strategically placed flat shelves, accompanied by different book ends.

"Your room is totally different."

"You've been in here before, what makes you comment on it now?"  She turned around from the drawer, shifting her gaze up so she can have direct eye contact with Carl.

"I just actually realized it, that it's different."

"I'm different," she shrugged.

"Yeah, I know that, but your room. The last time I saw it, it wasn't mature."

"It wasn't mature?" She chuckled a bit, thinking his comment was somewhat funny.

"You know what I mean. It was young, you had weird bobbleheads and dumb art projects made with yarn and popsicle sticks. Now it's just some mature bands and makeup and an adult mess."

"Adult mess." Now he's lost his mind, he's making up words, she thought, rolling her eyes.

"It's when a teenager tries to be an adult. Adult mess. Because you can't really adult if you're not an adult," he spoke matter of factly.

"You are one weird specimen Carl Gallagher. Anyways, I found my bucket list."

"What's on it?"

"Visit an art gallery." She read the colorful first page of the composition book.

"Boring."

"Egg someone's house."

"We've done that already."

"Have a baby? Why would I write that, what the fuck?" Mariana really was confused as to why her younger self would write such a weird thing. Labor was probably painful, why would an eleven year old want to go through that?

"We could do that."

"Oh no, no we can't."

"Choke."

"Gladly. Next up I have adopt a dog."

"Okay." Carl shrugged, thinking this was something they could do.

"Really?"

"Yeah, it could be our child. Name it, baby it, spoil it."

"You're the cutest." Mariana thought it was cute how Carl would just spoil a little dog, kind of like if he had a child.

"Don't call me that."

She squeezed his cheeks, "Whatever, just get the keys."