1

Henry Russels

Tired I'm back home and I let myself fall on the couch. Leaning with my head against the backrest. Finally, I can get some rest. Looking outside I can see that the stars are out and with the moon. Which is just a quarter full. I guess in about three weeks there will be a full moon.

With my apartment on the third floor, I can't complain. It's not the best neighborhood but then again, I wanted something close to the forest.

'Alright, Finn, Chad, you take the back. The rest of you with me.' A voice comes in my ear.

Sometimes my high senses are nothing but a curse. In this case, I suppose a blessing.

'Tase him if you have to but don't kill him.

Alright, I overstayed my welcome. Time to leave. I throw my hoodie on, together with my jacket. My bag already set for emergencies by the window. This is why I never want an apartment higher than the third floor. I open the window and quickly I put my backpack on my back. Sorry, too late again. Don't they ever realize that they give themselves away? I jump through the open window with a dive front flip and land safely on the ground.

To see a black van parked. Probably theirs. I'm seriously tired of running. I open the drivers side and look for a key. They even forgot to hide it. Lucky enough I take my backpack off and put it next to me. Starting the van I drive away slowly. This way I will have a head start again. I can even get far away, park the car somewhere... No, I have a better idea. Smiling I step on the gas pedal as soon as I hit the highway.

It doesn't take long or I reach Seattle. I'm pretty sure they will hit their own head for not locking the van off properly. I head straight for the harbor. Getting rid of the van in the water and I can breathe. By the time they find the van again I can be long gone. Setting my plan up, I take a turn towards the harbor. It's a good thing that all my stuff is in a waterproof bag inside my backpack. With enough speed, I drive straight for the water.

I hit the water and the seat belt holds me in place. Now I need to be quick before I'm too deep. I take the seat belt off and put my backpack back on my back. I click the extra belt by my collarbone tight. Then I lay my hands on the door. With all the power I have I push it open. Making the water come in at a high speed.

Alright, time for a swim, I suppose. Losing air quickly I take a deep breath. Then to make my way out of the van and I look to the sinking van. Your loss, suckers. And back to five steps behind me. It almost feels like playing chess with these guys. I'm always a few steps ahead of them. Swimming to the surface takes a while but I manage to reach it before I'm out of air. Relieved that I made it, I swim to the pier. Where I can see stairs.

Even when I'm heavily breathing because of being underwater that long, I push myself to climb the stairs. I need to train again. No excuses. No more trying getting out of it. My condition needs to be better than this. Back on land again, I shake my head. Mostly to get most water out of my hair. I comb my hair with my hand. Although it's no use. It falls straight back in my face in my eyes. I think I need a haircut.

With a deep sigh, I continue my way out of Seattle. This time on the highway. There's barely traffic anyway. My watch tells me that it's at three at night. Yeah, no wonder it's almost dead around here. I quicken my pace. Just not to run full speed. Otherwise, I would give myself away. I can't help but look up to the moon. It always calms me. No matter what. In whatever situation I get, if I can look at the moon than it just takes a few minutes to calm me down. Almost to the point to feel relieved. At peace. A serene feeling. Being one with nature. 

********************************

What do you think of this preview? More will come, but first to finish On The Run.