wrong balcony

Word count: 733
Summary: Phil goes to hang out with his buddies over the weekend, which upset his girlfriend. So he decides so apologize in person, because that's just the kind of person he is. However, he may have gotten the wrong building.

A/N: Heyoo sorry it took so long! (it probably wasn't that long ago since I updated but it felt like forever) I had this in my drafts for a long time but I didn't get the chance to edit and finalize it because school started. Have you started school yet? How'd it go?

"Courtney!"

The window finally squeaked open. Phil's heart fluttered. He scrambled to fix his tie and run his fingers through his fringe. Had she forgiven him and decided to speak to him? What he hadn't expected was a grinning boy with floppy brown curls to step out of the glass doors, wiggling his eyebrows.

"Who-" Phil started. It's literally been a day. How could she move on that quickly?

"Wow, I had no idea I had a secret admirer. How charming," the boy mused. "Are you here to reenact the balcony scene from 'Romeo and Juliet' with me?"

Phil felt heat rise to his cheeks. "Um actually- I'm here for Courtney."

"Last time I checked, my name's Dan and I live alone."

"So... she's not here?"

"Sorry mate, wrong balcony," the boy gestured to the next building. Phil's eyes darted to the apartment on the right, just in time to see a girl with wavy blonde locks glare at him and jerk her curtains closed.

Oh.

"If you don't even know where your girlfriend lives, I think you need to sort your relationship out, buddy." And with that, the brunet shut the window.

Phil stood on the pavement, gaping speechlessly at the closed windows and holding a bouquet in his hand. He was confused. He had come to try and woo his girlfriend back, but instead he had met a cute boy.

---

The next day, Phil "just so happened" to walk past the same building and take a subtle glance at the balcony where he'd talked to the boy.

The glass doors were wide open, and the thin white curtains inside floated out the doors as the breeze lifted it into the air. The street was quieter than usual, and Phil could hear soft piano music coming from inside the flat. The music was sweet and mellow, like something you'd listen to in an autumn morning. Phil smiled to himself.

Phil searched the ground for a small pebble. He quickly selected one, and hurled it through the doors. He heard it clatter onto the floorboards and the piano music stopped abruptly. Phil crossed his fingers and hoped he didn't accidentally break anything.

"You're back." Phil looked up at the boy. He was fiddling with the pebble in one hand and propped his head up with the other, smiling fondly at Phil. "In case you don't remember, your girlfriend- or whatever- lives in the next building." Phil nodded and swallowed a lump in his throat. He felt the words die on the tip of his tongue.

"I'm Dan," the curly-haired boy blurted, breaking the silence. "And if you don't mind me asking... what happened?"

Dan. "She got upset that I ditched her to hang out with my friends during the weekend. I feel bad and I want to apologize, but she won't talk to me."

"Well, do you do it often?"

"What?"

"Ditch her."

"No! We were celebrating a birthday and I guess she just got lonely-"

"She's not good for you."

Phil furrowed his eyebrows. "Pardon?"

"If she doesn't like how you spend time with your friends, I don't think she's a good partner. You seem like a nice guy. I don't think it's a good reason to be upset." Dan chewed his bottom lip. "It's just my opinion so I might not be correct."

"I'm Phil, by the way," Phil said, pretending to tip an invisible hat and bowed at the boy.

Dan smiled softly. "Cute."

---

A week had passed. Phil texted Courtney a long and sincere apology, despite what Dan had told him that day, and he received an equally long rant from his girlfriend about how this was "absolute nonsense" and she "never wanted to see his face" again.

Phil spent a lot of time, mostly up late at night, thinking about what Dan had said. Maybe he was right. The relationship hadn't always worked out, but that's what relationships are about, right? Solving your problems together. That's what he's always thought. He rolled over on his side and sighed.

If she wasn't right for him... then maybe....

---

"Dan!" Phil called.

The glass doors opened and the boy stuck his head out.

He raised his eyebrows at Phil. "You've got the wrong building again."

Phil shook his head and smiled at the brunet. "I didn't get it wrong this time," he said, pulling the flowers out from behind his back.